DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Anyone cleaned their sensor yet.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/506160-anyone-cleaned-their-sensor-yet.html)

Mark Slade March 16th, 2012 10:10 PM

Anyone cleaned their sensor yet....

Arghhhhhhhh....I was putting the cap on the camera after removing the lens and fumbled with the cap and in the process of trying to grab the cap I stuck my finger on the sensor. Now I have a bug greasy smudge on it. Anyone have any experience cleaning a sensor??

Mark

Jeff Harper March 16th, 2012 11:42 PM

Re: Anyone cleaned their sensor yet....

Mark, I don't, but try googling it, I've seen something on this topic before somewhere...

Roy Feldman March 17th, 2012 06:38 AM

Do it all the time with a lot of cameras, I used to work in a department that had 10 shooters everyday, I cleaned all the cameras once a week.
In your case I would send the camera to service yourself, because to buy the proper sensor pads and solutuion are going to run you $30-$50 dollars, you need a bit of practice to get just the right swipe and know the correct amount of solution, if you scratch it it's going to cost you $200.
Or look for a local camera shop in your area, should be under $50. If you're a DYI'er buy the stuff and read the 500 pages on the web of how to do it..or if you plan on doing this alot.

Jeff Harper March 17th, 2012 06:55 AM

Roy, your advice sound like an excellent short version of everything I've read on the subject! I would vote for taking it to a local camera shop...quick, easy, and hopefully safe.

Don Litten March 17th, 2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Feldman (Post 1721443)
Do it all the time with a lot of cameras, I used to work in a department that had 10 shooters everyday, I cleaned all the cameras once a week.
In your case I would send the camera to service yourself, because to buy the proper sensor pads and solutuion are going to run you $30-$50 dollars, you need a bit of practice to get just the right swipe and know the correct amount of solution, if you scratch it it's going to cost you $200.
Or look for a local camera shop in your area, should be under $50. If you're a DYI'er buy the stuff and read the 500 pages on the web of how to do it..or if you plan on doing this alot.

Is it more difficult than the 7D? I do that when it needs it, but haven't needed to yet with the GH2.

Mark Slade March 17th, 2012 09:34 PM

Thanks guys....I had read on the net....just wanted some input from those that might have done it. Don....i would think that a sensor is a sensor....canon or panasonic.
I don't have qualms about DIY. I own several telescopes, both lens and mirror type and I've cleaned sensitive surfaces many times....so I'm not adverse to DIY.

Mark

Aaron Courtney April 9th, 2012 09:37 AM

My 9-year old son got his hands on one of my GH2's and plopped a nice fingerprint right on the sensor. It took a couple of sensor swabs to clean it, but they did the job. Now, the Eclipse cleaner and swabs have a dedicated spot in my camera case. Highly recommended!

Rob Cantwell April 9th, 2012 01:48 PM

this reminds me one of my DSLRs has dust bunnies!!
I've always cleaned my sensors myself, it's like a lot of other things - the more you do it the better you get at it.
It's probably cost effective too as you'll get a kit that'll clean several times over the cost of going to a service place.