Crop Factors and Nifty-Fifties... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Crop Factors and Nifty-Fifties...

Hello fellow GH users!

So I've had my GH2 since July and I wanted to clear something up. I bought a Canon 50mm 1.8 EF lens (the 100 dollar one) a while back expecting to get a nice, relatively "normal" looking shot. What I got looked a lot longer than 50mm.

Well, I came to find out about crop factors, and how they affect different lenses, specifically focusing on the GH2. I found that the crop-factor for the GH2 (please correct me if I'm wrong) when compared to full frame is roughly 2X.

Therefore, does this make my nifty-fifty equal to a 100mm lens?? If so, do I effectively have a 100mm f1.8 lens (or whatever f-stop I want it to have by fixing it to my XSi and setting the f-stop there, and then taking it off and putting it on my GH2?)??

Thanks for the help!

Steven
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Crop Factors and Nifty-Fifties...

Yes you have what is effectively a 100mm lens. If you're into using third party lenses, look at FD lenses instead of EF lenses, you can at least change exposure on the barrel of the lens. You can find Canon FD 50 F/1.4 lenses for under $100, FWIW.

For a 50mm equivalent the Panasonic 25mm F/1.4 is a nice lens, and the Panasonic 20mm which costs even less, as I'm sure you know, is a great value also.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Major Player

You have a 50/1.8.

On the GH2, it gives an approximate equivalent field of view to a 100mm. Its max aperture is still f1.8. Its depth of field equivalence vs. full frame is about f4 (which is good or bad, depending on your needs and desires).
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Major Player

It's still worth having IMO. I have one that's dedicated to my Canons and one on an adapter with the aperture, dedicated to the GH2. It's still 1.8 and sharp as a tack.

The focus ring does suck though.

If you're looking for a 5o prime, see if you can find a Pentax A 50mm 1.7. You'll never look back.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:44 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes, you get the angle of view of a 100mm lens.

But what you have is not a 100mm f/1.8, it is a 50mm f1.8 with a cropped view. The two things are very different - a true 100mm f/1.8 would have a much shallower DOF.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Litten View Post
If you're looking for a 5o prime, see if you can find a Pentax A 50mm 1.7. You'll never look back.
Will I need any special adapters for it, and will it come out being 50mm instead of 100??
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Major Player

You will need an adapter and the FOV will be different. But as said before, it's still a 50mm 1.7.
I'm not sure you'll find a legacy prime in 4/3 micro and IMO, they are some of the best lenses available at any price. (My opinion)

I use them on the Canons and the GH2 and use the Canon EOS lenses on the GH2 as well.

I'm testing a Sears Zoom today that I got at a yardsale for $3.00. Looks unused and the reviews say it's good at 5.6 or below and is GREAT for Macro work. Time will tell but it opens a new world in video.
Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series