DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Is anyone using the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 or Leica 25mm f1.4? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/508099-anyone-using-voigtlander-25mm-f0-95-leica-25mm-f1-4-a.html)

Matt Bigwood May 28th, 2012 06:35 AM

Is anyone using the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 or Leica 25mm f1.4?

I'm thinking about getting the Voigtander lens for my GH2 primarily for its shallow depth of field. I'm also considering the Leica 25mm f1.4 because of the autofocus and lower price - does anyone have any experience of either lens?

Kevin McRoberts May 28th, 2012 08:46 AM

Re: Is anyone using the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 or Leica 25mm f1.4?

I own the PL 25/1.4 and have tried the CV 25/0.95.

The Leica is at that sweet spot of just a little faster than the 20/1.7, and a good bit cheaper than the Voigt, so that's why I bought it. I already have a mess of legacy 24 and 28mm primes for follow focus use, which would have been my primary reason to shell out double the money for the Voigt.

Imagewise, you can get that shallower focus and brighter exposure with the Voigt, but I'm not convinced it's optically more pleasing. The Voigtlanders in general are very very sharp at optimum aperture, but seem a little more "clinical," kind of like Zeiss lenses.

Autofocus works fairly well on the Leica (far better than the 20/1.7, not as good as the 14-140). It's a nice lens for still photography, and the focus ring is wonderful to use.

If you don't use follow focus, aren't obsessed with the shallowest DOF (if you are, go full frame), and don't need that extra stop vary badly, the Leica is IMO the best buy.

Matt Bigwood May 28th, 2012 01:21 PM

Thanks Kevin, it's great to hear from someone with experience of both. I've got an old Nikkor 55mm f1.2 that I use on my D3 for shallow depth of field, so looks like the Leica lens might be the best option.

Ben Giles May 29th, 2012 08:08 AM

My 25mm stays on the GH2 most of the time - I'm very pleased with it so far. There's a pleasing cinematic "warmth" to it, while remaining very sharp - rather like film stock that has an emulsion "glow" while rendering a crisp image.

I'll shut up now, before I start sounding any more poncey...

Ben.

Jeff Harper May 29th, 2012 10:31 PM

I have used only the 25mm, and while I'm not thrilled with it's autofocus ability in low light, I used it Sunday at a wedding, and wow, what an amazing image I got from the balcony in a cathedral as a steady shot. It was SO sharp, I was very pleased.

Matt Bigwood May 30th, 2012 06:12 AM

Thanks for the replies folks .

Ben - I just watched 'I am who I am' on Vimeo. Superb work.

Ben Giles May 31st, 2012 01:58 AM

Thanks Matt - much appreciated.

Ben.

Kevin Janisch May 31st, 2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Giles (Post 1735556)
My 25mm stays on the GH2 most of the time - I'm very pleased with it so far. There's a pleasing cinematic "warmth" to it, while remaining very sharp - rather like film stock that has an emulsion "glow" while rendering a crisp image.
Ben.

Hi Ben, the Voigtlander or the Leica?

Ben Giles June 2nd, 2012 08:56 AM

Hi Kevin.

I can't comment on the Voigtlander - I've never used one.

If you can get access to both for a test, I'd do that and work out which makes you smile the most.

I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Voigt to myself, so I took a punt on the Leica, knowing I could always return it if I was disappointed.

However, I love the results I get from the Leica and so do my clients - which means they give me more work and they then pay me on time. Which means I can occasionally treat my wife like a princess. Which means I get laid more.

The Leica's working for me...

Ben.

Jeff Harper June 2nd, 2012 12:03 PM

Ben, what a great ad for the Leica. "Buy this lens and you will get laid". The lens will sell like hotcakes!

Matt Bigwood June 3rd, 2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Giles (Post 1736308)
Hi Kevin.

However, I love the results I get from the Leica and so do my clients - which means they give me more work and they then pay me on time. Which means I can occasionally treat my wife like a princess. Which means I get laid more.

The Leica's working for me...

Ben.

I've just put in an order for two....