Straps/Strap Systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 30th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Straps/Strap Systems

Guys, I'm curious what you're using for straps, etc. for your GH2.

I've been using the stock strap attached to the GH2's built-in carrying points but find it a bit narrow and uncomfortable when carried around my neck especially with the 45-200 lens on it. I'm considering one of the over-the-shoulder units. I've looked at (on the web) the BosStrap, Glide Strap with C-Loop, Lens Loop and others. Before plunking down $50 or more, I'd like to hear some impressions of what works for you. Or maybe I just need a wider strap for carrying around my neck.

I'm only an amateur and I'm looking for something to use for carrying around my GH2 when in "tourist mode". ;-)

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Straps/Strap Systems

Anyone want to take a shot?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:49 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not going to be much help Ron.
I use my GH2 for video and I don't like straps on my video cameras.

I either hand carry it or carry it in my bag.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Dennis,

My thinking has been the same as Don's, but I have had a couple of recent "close calls" that have caused me to re-look at this.

I hate neck straps, and they are really not made for video shooters, so I have been looking seriously at wrist straps like this

for single camera operations and harnesses like this

for two cameras.

Either way, a small price to pay to prevent a dropped camera. I think I just convinced myself to take them out of "save for later" and put them back into my cart :-)

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use a Black Rapid. It's very secure and comfortable.
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Nick,

Which model do you use?

D
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

RS Sport

RS-Sport R-Strap BlackRapid.com

It has the extra under-arm strap.

I sometimes think the BR is overkill for the GH2, but better safe than sorry, and it is very comfortable..Also, it's very convenient being able to swap the strap between cameras (I have a 7D as well as the GH2)
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Dennis - please note that both the

and the

I recommended earlier, use the tripod socket. I like to leave a quick release on my cameras, and sometimes use a tripod in the field, so I'm leaning towards something that

instead.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Exactly Bill. I use a tripod 95% of the time and use my shoulder rig with the XA10 for the roving shots.
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Nick, yes that does look like overkill for the GH2. I'm thinking more like the Classic (RS-4 R-Strap BlackRapid.com) or the Curve (RS-7 R-Strap BlackRapid.com). Even the curve looks a bit much but with the 45-200 on it or some old glass (with real glass!) might bring the weight up to where the BR's would be just about right.

Bill and Don, tripod quick releases are always a problem with most of these rigs. I don't use my tripod too much so I may be alright with a unit that screws into the cam's tripod socket. Then again, there's always something like the M-Plate (http://www.customslr.com/products/m-plate-pr) *if* you have a compatible tripod. I haven't done the research but I'll bet there are similar plates for other tripods.

I'm gonna look into the BR units Nick recommended.

D
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Trustee

My solution was to use the supplied (with the GH2) strap with this quick disconnect system:

When the camera goes on a tripod or on the SpiderBrace I just disconnect the strap and toss it in the bag. At first I thought the short piece left on the camera lug would be annoying but in reality there is no problem I've seen. I just ignore them and they are not long enough to tangle in anything.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Here is a review I did of the RS-7 from BlackRapid.

Truly Rapid: A Review of the BlackRapid RS-7 » FrugalFilmmakers.com
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Major Player

Nice writeup Alan!
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
My solution was to use the supplied (with the GH2) strap with this quick disconnect system:

Amazon.com: OP/TECH USA 1301082 System Connectors (Mini QD Loops) - Extra Connectors for OP/TECH USA Compact Straps with Mini Quick Disconnects: Camera & Photo

When the camera goes on a tripod or on the SpiderBrace I just disconnect the strap and toss it in the bag. At first I thought the short piece left on the camera lug would be annoying but in reality there is no problem I've seen. I just ignore them and they are not long enough to tangle in anything.
Looks promising. Two questions: are those loops strong enough to hold the cam with a moderately heavy lens? I wonder how they'll hold up after repeated bending.

Also, I find the stock strap to be quite short. I want to sling it across my shoulder rather than around my neck. Is that how you use it? Plus, the stock strap is rather narrow although with it over-the-shoulder instead of around-the-neck that might not be an issue.

D
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Vogel View Post
Looks promising. Two questions: are those loops strong enough to hold the cam with a moderately heavy lens? I wonder how they'll hold up after repeated bending.
They seem quite strong to me, very flexible so repeated bending doesn't look to cause any material fatigue like bending metal does.

I've had the Lumix 45-200 on the camera with that strap arrangement several times and have seen no reason to suspect it of impending failure. I did remove the triangular rings and put the loop itself through the strap stud on the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Vogel View Post
Also, I find the stock strap to be quite short. I want to sling it across my shoulder rather than around my neck. Is that how you use it? Plus, the stock strap is rather narrow although with it over-the-shoulder instead of around-the-neck that might not be an issue.
I can wear it "cross body" fashion if I have to, but most of the time it's around my neck, sometimes on one shoulder. There is some length adjustment but maybe not enough for you. If you can get to a camera store somewhere look at other OpTek straps. They used to have some wider models that even had some "stretch" to the part that goes around the neck. Something like that with a quick disconnect might be ideal.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series