DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GF3 Record Limit ??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/508677-gf3-record-limit.html)

Chip Thome June 21st, 2012 01:08 AM

GF3 Record Limit ???

I was reading up on the GF3 hacks and the one thing I saw was a 30 minute record limit removal the hack could accomplish. I had watched a number of the hacked GF3 sample clips and was having a tough time discerning the differences in quality. As I read about the hacks a number of the hack settings seemed to be having spanning issues and were all talking the use of some pricey and big cards to handle them. To my eyes I wasn't seeing the benefit to start with, but removing a record limit interested me. I did see where one guy applied just the record limit fix and left the rest at stock firmware. I thought I might try that, but decided to run a test and make sure mine stopped at 30 minutes. Mine is a US version with body firmware 1.0 and when I tested it went to 31 minutes with no problems unhacked.

So is this 30 minute record limit a regional issue or maybe the GF3 does not have one ???

Any input will be greatly appreciated !!!

Ben Giles June 21st, 2012 02:20 AM

Re: GF3 Record Limit ???

I'm not sure about the time limit - I think it's an EU rule, so may not apply to US models - but someone else will hopefully know the correct answer to that.

However, I read with a wry smile your comments about quality differences between stock and hacked.

From my own personal tests - and not from reading other people's comments, often just repeated verbatim it would seem - I'm currently convinced that the whole hacking GH2 thing is proper Emperor's clothes.

I'd be delighted to be shown otherwise (I'd love to believe it! But I'd love to believe in God and fairies too - life would be so much easier...), but I've yet to see ANY test that shows the remotest qualitative difference between the stock Panasonic AVCHD codec and a "hacked" version of it. In other words, here's a controlled AVCHD shot with fixed lighting of X - and here it is again with a higher bitrate.

Yes, there's loads of stuff out there that looks nice, with the resultant "it must be because it's hacked!" tributes - but, unless anyone can point out otherwise, I can only conclude that it's complete fantasy. Wishful thinking, expectation bias - you see the difference because you want to, not because you would in a blind test.

Prove to me otherwise and I'll eat my hat on the way to church (and I really mean no disrespect to Christians amongst you.)

There, I said it. Got it off my chest.

Sorry if this takes the thread off piste - but I couldn't resist it. Oh, and somebody please answer Chip's question re recording times!

Fire away, chaps!

Ben.

Don Litten June 21st, 2012 03:56 AM

That's an interesting subject Ben, one I've pondered myself often and one that gets pretty emotional for some people, not including myself.

The GH2 is an amazing little camera. That's why I have two now. I commented somewhere that I could take my Canon L glass and get images never dreamed of by my 7D.

The hack itself has nothing to do with image quality. It can do things like unlock the 30 minute limit and higher ISO's (which Is of dubious value IMO). and unless you choose differently, leaves the stock settings unchanged.

The settings are where it gets confusing. I'll be the first one to admit that some of the ultra high bitrate settings are silly. The pixel peekers love them but the simple fact is, IQ is not improved enough to justify the expense in recording time, lock ups, etc.

Some of the settings like Sanity 5, offer what I think is slightly improved Image Quality at reasonable bitrates.

Now on to the real advantages in the settings. IMO, they are in specialized improvements in specific areas. Driftwoods CM Night does give better color with less noise and better movement, under low light conditions. I hate it in normal light.

I'm not sure they are worth the constant card swapping needed to have the setting you need for the shot. It's more trouble than changing filters.

Some of the stuff being made is stunning but I think more has to do with lens selection and skill at both using the camera and post, than anything else.

To sum it up, I don't think the settings are for everyone. Great video and stills can be had without them. I do think they have some advantage for individual needs or a specific shot.

Bill Bruner June 21st, 2012 05:50 AM

These tests show me that the hacks improve the resolution of the camera - but to me, after vimeo or youtube compression, it's not worth the effort:

https://vimeo.com/27883337
https://vimeo.com/28873762
Panasonic GH2 Color Profile Comparison - YouTube

Since the upgrade to v1.1 and 24mbps 1080/30p , I get fewer compression artifacts and smoother motion than I did with v1.0. More than good enough for me (and, most importantly, much better than Canon ;-))

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Nick Gordon June 21st, 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Giles (Post 1739361)
I'm not sure about the time limit - I think it's an EU rule, so may not apply to US models - but someone else will hopefully know the correct answer to that.Ben.

It is, indeed an EU thing - it's because the duties are higher on video cameras than on stills cameras. So if you limit the video duration, you can pretend it's a stills camera.

Don Litten June 21st, 2012 10:36 AM

There happens to be a thread on Personal View about the same thing....Might be some of us are involved.

Anyway, read CBrandon's post. Chris is one of the silent greats and his explanation shows it.

GH2 -- Hack vs Un-Hacked Firmware Tests - Personal View Talks

Chip Thome June 21st, 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Gordon (Post 1739410)
It is, indeed an EU thing - it's because the duties are higher on video cameras than on stills cameras. So if you limit the video duration, you can pretend it's a stills camera.

I knew that from the GH1s that UK versions had it, as well as maybe the entire EU. When I was watching some of the hack videos the guy discussing the 30 minute removal, from his accent, I would swear he was from the states. Also, my TA1 has the 30 minute limit, so thought it may be a universal thing for Panny to put it in there, on these lower end cams.

Bill Bruner June 22nd, 2012 04:39 AM

Thanks, Don. That is a great thread and the best analysis I've seen of the pros and cons of the various hacks.

Cheers,

Bill