F0.95 really worth it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Trustee

F0.95 really worth it?

Hi guys,

Iīve seen some really amazing footage from the 17,5mm f0.95 but I keep wondering if itīs really worth it over the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 or the 20mm 1.7. What do you guys think? The 17,5mm costs around us$1300, which is double the 25mm and more than double the 20mm.
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: F0.95 really worth it?

Raphael

I'll go with "if your audience sees the difference and feels it is positive, then it is worth it".
IMHO though, I don't think there's 1 out of a 1,000 people who are currently viewing your work who could tell which lens it is that you are using.
IMO, once you get brighter than f1.8, it is the artist and not the gear, that actually makes the difference.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
Hi guys,

Iīve seen some really amazing footage from the 17,5mm f0.95 but I keep wondering if itīs really worth it over the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 or the 20mm 1.7.
I feel it's worth it. From f1.7 to f0.95 is a one-stop difference - that's double the amount of light required to get the same effect.

The question is: Is the money saved in lighting more than the difference in the cost of lenses?
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Trustee

FOV wise my favorite is 35mm. Speed wise Iīm trying to compensate the fact that I get clean images at iso 1600 with the NEX-5N when shooting stills (I have even some very usable iso 6400). I know I wonīt be able to push the envelope so much with the GH2.

Another factors worth mentioning are that I do stills 95% of time. And neither photography nor video are my source of income...itīs just something I really like doing in my spare time and that I occasionally get paid for.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series