Leica 25mm 1.4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Leica 25mm 1.4

Am I missing anything by not having this lens? I have the 20mm 1.7 and love it i mostly do video and I've seen some good footage from clips of the 25.
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Leica 25mm 1.4

It's 50mm as of against being 40mm (equivalents). The 25 is just as sharp, a hint faster but focuses far better. Everything quirky about the 20 isn't with the 25 and the 25 looks like a real camera lens IMO. Right now the 25 is out of stock almost everywhere, I think, as is the 20.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #3
Major Player

I have the 25mm and really like it. It stays on the GH2 for most stills and video. For my needs, the kit 14-140mm and 25mm do the job. I also have the XA10 video cam.
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I strongly prefer the 25mm. It does focus faster, is F/1.4. vs F/1.7, it has a truer color rendition (IMO) and it looks like a real lens. I'm not a fan of the pancake look for paid work. It also comes with a lens hood which is nice. 20mm is a nice lens for sure. If you're happy with the 20mm you don't need the 25mm, but if you got it you might be pleased that you did.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah you can't go wrong with either lens in my opInion.i think the 25 looks a little warmer but I havent tested it yet so I can't say for sure and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I think presbyopia just hit.

I could happily shoot a feature on either lens if that's all I had.
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Trustee

Honestly both are great lenses and you will see great footage from both. I will only consider moving to the 25mm if I sold my 20mm which I doubt I will do anytime soon. Yes I would like a lens that is easier to focus with but really it isn't a deal breaker for me. I'm at the point where in certain situations no auto focus is good enough for me so if I were to go to a new wide lens it would be a better full manual lens as an alternative. A step less aperture and smooth focus ring really are worth their weight in gold if you prefer that type of lens and will beat an auto system any day once you know what you are doing.

For me if I didn't already have one it would be a tougher decision worth a good debate but if you already have one personally I would stick with what you got unless you plan on selling your 20mm.

I just bought a lens hood on Amazon for my 20mm that works great. It helps make the 20mm look a little bit more like a normal lens and helps prevent my fingers getting in the shot when I try to focus. It screws in the front threads so you can't use the lens cap but other then that it works great.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series