DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Gearing up for a feature (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/508912-gearing-up-feature.html)

Mike Leah June 29th, 2012 01:34 PM

Gearing up for a feature

Im putting things together to do a feature later this year with the gh2. The lenses I currently have are the 14-42 kit lens, 20mm. A friend has a 50mm and a wide lens so we should be able to do what we need with the lenses we have. I could do most of what I want with the 20 but it's nice to have variety. As we get footage I'll post it here to maybe help others see what worked and what didnt and also to help me with sugg and critiques. I had some in car test footage I wanted to post but my memory card messed up so I lost it all. We will have to improvise on some things so it will be a lot of trial and error so figure others may benefit from it.

Jeff Hinson July 1st, 2012 02:22 AM

Re: Gearing up for a feature

Cant wait to see the clips, equip, and progress.
Jeff

Bruce Foreman July 1st, 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Leah (Post 1740895)
I had some in car test footage I wanted to post but my memory card messed up so I lost it all.

The big lesson here is DO NOT SKIMP ON MEMORY CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A quality memory card should NEVER "mess up" on you. If you're gearing up for a feature, start purchasing something like SanDisk cards from a place like B&H now so you have several on hand. Format them ONLY in the camera, and format each time you copy the "takes" from an actual shoot to your computer (on two separate hard drives so you are never stuck with your data in only one place).

Mike Leah July 5th, 2012 03:48 PM

Yeah the first memory card i got was a cheap one and it performed cheaply so for anything other than play around footage I use the best I can find.

I'm hoping to show stills and footage along the way during this project and show what worked and what didn't, even if it means showing the bad footage too. Hopefully others will learn from it.

That project looks great and looks like they did a good job on it.

Don Litten July 5th, 2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1741135)
The big lesson here is DO NOT SKIMP ON MEMORY CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A quality memory card should NEVER "mess up" on you. If you're gearing up for a feature, start purchasing something like SanDisk cards from a place like B&H now so you have several on hand. Format them ONLY in the camera, and format each time you copy the "takes" from an actual shoot to your computer (on two separate hard drives so you are never stuck with your data in only one place).

!

I wholeheartedly agree about the card. All I'm using now on the higher bitrate camera is Sandisk 32 Gig, 95mb.

I stopped buying the 64 Gig 95 mb cards because of occasional file number errors. There is some discussion about the 64 gig cards being a little faster, but I've never noticed it.

Bruce Foreman July 16th, 2012 09:20 PM

Don,

Thanks a lot for that info. I appreciate you sharing that.

And my credit card thanks you, once it has recovered from the Leica DG Summilux 25mm "whack" I can avoid feeling compelled to go the 64GB 95MB/s route.