Hack help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Trustee

Hack help

Hi guys,

I´ve posted this in other forums but even though I´m sure it has an easy answer I´m yet to get any feedback elsewhere.
I´ve just installed the GH2 100Mbps Flow Motion v2 Patch and now I have these REC MODE options:

- AVHD (1080i) - tried this one and it worked but it shoots at 29i and I want 1920 x 1080 24p (or 25p if 24 is not possible)
- AVCHD (720p) - it´s shooting at 60p but I want 24p (or 25p if 24 is not possible)
- Motion JPEG - haven´t tried it

What option do I have to select/check on the Ptool to get this exact same patch but with 1920 x 1080 24p (or 25p) instead of 29i?
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Hack help

1. Select AVCHD 1080i (720 always shoots 60p)
2. Select Manual Movie Mode - 24P CINEMA

You should be shooting 24p now

Here's a handy video I found to walk you through it if you have more questions; only part I take issue with is the preference for "SMOOTH -2x4" as the picture profile.

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Appreciated, Kevin.
Do you mean I should choose these settings on the PTool or directly in the camera?

I will check the video latter as I´m firewalled at work :)
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Major Player

These are camera settings, not PTool settings
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, Kevin. I will try this out when I get home.
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
Here's a handy video I found to walk you through it if you have more questions; only part I take issue with is the preference for "SMOOTH -2x4" as the picture profile.

Getting Started with the GH2: Part 1 on Vimeo
Kevin, out of curiosity, what is it about the color modes suggested in the video that you take issue with? Is it a) that we shouldn't be using the flattest mode possible, or b) these contrast/sharpness/saturation settings won't give the flattest color possible, c) there's a better way to get the flattest color possible, or d) something else?

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Vogel View Post
Kevin, out of curiosity, what is it about the color modes suggested in the video that you take issue with? Is it a) that we shouldn't be using the flattest mode possible, or b) these contrast/sharpness/saturation settings won't give the flattest color possible, c) there's a better way to get the flattest color possible, or d) something else?

D
I've seen conflicting views on what the most "attractive" color profile is, what has the least amount of noise, what best preserves shadow detail... some suggest NOSTALGIA, some suggest STANDARD, CINEMA, some people crank up color and so forth.

While I get the concept of shooting as flat as possible, it's almost become one of those fads like razor-thin DOF or crazy dutch angles or other things used more just because "it's the style" or "it's what the pros do" vs. any real motivation. AVCHD just doesn't handle grading quite as well, and for certain work it simply makes sense to bake in a nice, pleasing image with great color and contrast rather than flatten everything to monotone blah in the hopes your colorist will produce some magic in post without introducing too much noise.

So saying a certain color mode is "best" is like saying that a certain medicine or side dish is "best." The color mode and settings should be dictated by the desired end result.
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Major Player

I expect you keep up with this more than I do Kevin, but the developer of Color Gears has done a lot of interesting research into the color mode and settings as has CBrandon, and both pretty much agree with what you're saying.

Chris wrote a short piece that was extremely informative, but I can't lay my hands on it right now.

Shain feels that standard is as close to raw as the GH2 is going to get but that there are advantages to smooth and for other needs, other profiles.

Example:
"Nostalgic does boost the shadows but it heavily compresses the mid tone colors which is not good for skin tone. But expose in the 4 stop "Zone"

I don't think there's any more an across the board answer to that than there is to what lens to use.
Don Litten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series