DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Finally upgraded (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/509241-finally-upgraded.html)

Thomas Smet July 12th, 2012 11:01 AM

Finally upgraded

Hey guys finally decided to upgrade from my best buddy the GH1 to a GH2. I loved my GH1 to death but figured it was time to move on for a couple of reasons one of them being low light. Compared to even a lot of pro level video cameras I still find the GH1 to me insanely good in low light but the fixed pattern noise would always drive me nuts. Limiting the camera to 640 ISO seemed to work fairly well but I was getting tired of the limitations.

One quick question maybe somebody can answer before my new GH2 gets here. On my GH1 if I pulled off the lens while shooting to switch to another lens the camera would stop recording. Does the GH2 still do this? Switching lenses is pretty easy but if you need to be continuously recording it just wasn't possible to switch lenses on the GH1. My only work around was to use a FD lens and adapter and leave the adapter attached to the GH1. This way the adapter tricked the camera into thinking a lens was still mounted and it kept recording. As some of you may know however swapping lenses on a FD adapter with the adapter on the camera can be very tricky and no where near a quick swap. I realize the video will be useless during a lens swap but sometimes if more then one camera is shooting that is fine as long as you have a continuous record with audio. The plan is that I would use my old GH1 as a cut away during this swap.

The last question is if it is possible to turn on ETC mode while shooting? Plan on using this with one of the new F2.8 zooms.

Thomas Smet July 12th, 2012 08:47 PM

Re: Finally upgraded

Got my GH2 already and the answer is no to both. Oh well still an amazing camera.

Now just need to decide if I want to sell my GH1 or keep it as backup.

By the way loving the ETC mode. Works better then I could have imagined.

Patrick Janka July 12th, 2012 10:39 PM

Deleted. OP already posted.

Bill Bruner July 13th, 2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet (Post 1743152)
Now just need to decide if I want to sell my GH1 or keep it as backup..

Welcome to the GH2, Thomas! In addition to ETC, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much more usable the camera is (increased EVF resolution, touchscreen focus, faster AF, compatible with a wider variety of 4/3 lenses).

I bought the GH1 after I bought by GH2 (got a great price on it). But now I will to sell it to get another GH2 (or GH3, if it blows the GH2 away :-))

For me, the best backup to a GH2 is another GH2.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Jeff Harper July 13th, 2012 10:40 AM

GH1 is great, but the GH2 makes the GH1 look pretty bad in comparison, at least in low light.

Thomas Smet July 13th, 2012 11:14 AM

After playing with it awhile I must say I am very impressed. While I still love my GH1 the GH2 is clearly better. Of course these are all small details and the GH1 is still a very capable camera that can create some stunning productions if used right.

AF - Yeah much faster. My 20mm f1.7 seems so much more useful now. On the GH1 I found myself quickly switching to manual focus when it would hunt and just take forever to lock on.

Lowlight - Better if you really need to go above ISO 640 and cannot use lights. The GH1 is still good compared to a lot of HD video cameras but the GH2 clearly can reach into the dark much better. I was shocked at just how clean 3200 ISO is. Coming from HD video cameras that start to fall apart with a 9DB gain it isn't bad at all. If I stay under ISO 640 both seem to do a good job. It was the fixed pattern noise that killed me on the GH1. It made anything above 400 or 640 ISO garbage.

Hacking - Both can be hacked but I know the GH2 can be hacked to some insane levels. The GH1 really is a much better match to the GH2 when it is hacked with high quality settings. No more blocking and native 24p. I know the encoder in the GH2 is much better however and I look forward to having a DSLR that doesn't crash as much when hacked.

The camera in S priority and auto ISO seems to be a lot quicker and accurate at adjusting to light levels then my GH1. I use a camera light and sometimes when your subject gets really close it would take the GH1 too long to stop down. The GH2 is very quick.

Manual audio levels and actually being able to see audio levels. Huge. Shooting blind with the GH1 in terms of audio freaked me out. Still great as a B camera or where the audio is only background audio but if you really do need to use external mics by yourself for run and gun shooting it was a nightmare. I mainly kept my HMC-40 for two reasons. Audio and power zoom. With the GH2 at least I can now set manual levels and see the levels with external mics. Still not a perfect audio system but lightyears better for me.

Bill Bruner July 14th, 2012 04:29 AM

You're right about audio, Thomas. The manual audio level control and the onscreen meters are a big deal. You're reminding me why I need to get rid of the GH1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet (Post 1743264)
I mainly kept my HMC-40 for two reasons. Audio and power zoom.

So all you need to do is get

and power zoom lenses, and you can sell both the HMC-40 and the GH1 :-)

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thomas Smet July 14th, 2012 05:21 AM

Already sold the HMC40 to pay for the GH2. Now considering selling the GH1 with the 14-42 and 45-200 lenses to add either the power zoom lenses or sacrifice and buy the two new f2.8 zooms. Still manual zoom of course but very good lenses. My wife will probably kill me if I buy either.

To be honest I have started to get the hang of zooming with the 45-200 when on a tripod while shooting. It is the 14-42 that sticks really bad when trying to do a smooth zoom. If I do a quick zoom it works but that isn't always desirable.

Considered getting the 14-140 to cover a normal shooting range of a typical video camera with hopefully a little smoother zoom ring. I could sell the 14-42 and 45-200 with my GH1 to buy the 14-140. Not as far of a reach but I now have ETC for those situations.