DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   UPS says my GH2 is "out for delivery" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/509341-ups-says-my-gh2-out-delivery.html)

Bob Thieda July 16th, 2012 07:53 AM

UPS says my GH2 is "out for delivery"

And I am pretty excited about that. Can't wait to get home from work and get the batteries charging.

I recently sold my HMC150...but I couldn't quit this video game.

Guest July 16th, 2012 07:59 AM

Re: UPS says my GH2 is "out for delivery"

Awesome. I am guessing you plan to do video with this. Here are some good settings for the camera.

Bob Thieda July 16th, 2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Goetz (Post 1743759)
Awesome. I am guessing you plan to do video with this. Here are some good settings for the camera.

Just waiting for the battery to charge...sigh...

Don Litten July 16th, 2012 05:29 PM

Takes forever, doesn't it?

Thomas Smet July 16th, 2012 07:44 PM

Yeah when I finally upgraded to my GH2 last week the battery charging was dragging on forever.

Bruce Foreman July 16th, 2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thieda (Post 1743842)
Just waiting for the battery to charge...sigh...

Hi, Bob. Another GH2 convert...

When you go shopping for batteries, I advise you "bite the bullet" and order one or two Lumix batteries and not be "seduced" by the siren song of lower cost 3rd party ones. The non OEM batteries do not communicate at all with the camera and when they hit the end of the charge everything shuts down with no warning.

If you're in the middle of a "take", you lose it. If you happen to be doing a firmware upgrade and the battery runs out, the camera gets "bricked". I bought a pair of Wasabi batteries with charger without reading the fine print that they do not report battery status. I was never doing anything critical when they "quit" so I never "lost" anything. The batteries went to Home Depot recycling, I won't take a chance on them so now I order a new Panasonic Lumix battery about once every month or two until I feel I have enough.

Just a tip. Otherwise prepare to have a lot of fun with one very versatile still and video camera.

Patrick Janka July 16th, 2012 09:08 PM

I have 4 Lumix batteries, and don't find them to take very long to charge at all. Especially not compared to my Canon camcorder's 7/12 hour batteries.

Bob Thieda July 17th, 2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1743896)
Hi, Bob. Another GH2 convert...

When you go shopping for batteries, I advise you "bite the bullet" and order one or two Lumix batteries and not be "seduced" by the siren song of lower cost 3rd party ones. The non OEM batteries do not communicate at all with the camera and when they hit the end of the charge everything shuts down with no warning.

Thanks Bruce...I did my research before I bought it and ordered a spare OEM battery at the same time.

Did get to play with it a little last night...lots to learn, that's for sure. Leaving in the morning on a trip to the Red River Valley area of Kentucky...Should be a good chance to try it out...

Bob Thieda July 17th, 2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Janka (Post 1743905)
I have 4 Lumix batteries, and don't find them to take very long to charge at all.

Oh the second one wasn't bad at all...it's that first one that takes forever. ;)

Bob

Jeff Harper July 17th, 2012 11:56 AM

For strictly internet and Bluray, I'm a huge fan of 720 60p. Motion is incredibly smooth, it downconverts well for the net.

24p is how I shoot now to match with my videocameras, but motion sucks for everyday video and regular shooting. Pans suck and handheld video at 24p is not so great, but at 60p the detail during movement in the frame is very sharp.

I shot dozens of weddings and misc footage in 720 60p, and I still prefer it hands down to 24p. 24p looks gorgeous in the right situation, for sure, but overall 60p is more user friendly. 60p will play on a bluray and makes up (in my opinion) for the small resolution. Just my 2cents.

Bob Thieda July 17th, 2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1744017)
For strictly internet and Bluray, I'm a huge fan of 720 60p. Motion is incredibly smooth, it downconverts well for the net.

24p is how I shoot now to match with my videocameras, but motion sucks for everyday video and regular shooting. Pans suck and handheld video at 24p is not so great, but at 60p the detail during movement in the frame is very sharp.

I shot dozens of weddings and misc footage in 720 60p, and I still prefer it hands down to 24p. 24p looks gorgeous in the right situation, for sure, but overall 60p is more user friendly. 60p will play on a bluray and makes up (in my opinion) for the small resolution. Just my 2cents.

Hey Jeff...I agree! Almost everything I shot with my HMC-150 was in 720 60P and it looked great. I did a lot motorcycle racing video, so the 60P worked well. And I always use my GoPro in 720 60 to reduce jello. After I get to know this camera better, I'll probably apply one of the milder hacks that are suppose to make a considerable improvement in the 720 60P mode.