DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Lumix G5 - Lumix GH2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/509686-lumix-g5-lumix-gh2.html)

Bill Thesken July 30th, 2012 07:35 PM

Lumix G5 - Lumix GH2

I got the GH2 a couple of days ago. Works great with the HBR mode. The new G5 arriving next month looks like it has some upgrades, although it looks like it is using the same sensor.

GH2:
[Full HD] 1920×1080, 60i (sensor output is 60p) (FSH:17Mbps, FH:13Mbps/AVCHD)

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GH2KK?t=specs

G5:
[Full HD] 1920x1080, 60p (sensor output is 60p) (PSH: 28Mbps)*2 Continuous recording exceeding 4GB or 29 min 59 sec is not possible when recording AVCHD in PSH.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-G5KK?t=specs

Bill Bruner July 30th, 2012 09:12 PM

Re: Lumix G5 - Lumix GH2

1080/60p is nice, but I couldn't live with the 30 minute recording limit. They seem to be doing the same thing with the new FZ200 (which is limited to 30 minutes, unlike the FZ150).

Looks like Panasonic is following Canon/Nikon/Sony's lead and starting to cripple its NTSC hybrid cameras too. Too bad. It was one of their competitive advantages at the low end.

Jeff Hinson July 31st, 2012 02:30 AM

yea....a shame they are screwing things up especially for the wedding shooters; as recording time limit restrictions is a major concern to them.

For my use a 30min limit would not be a major reason not to buy the G5 since I use XA10s for weddings. If I bought another DSLR though, it would be a Canon 5D or a similar Nikon....to be used mainly for still photography.

JH

Don Litten July 31st, 2012 06:39 AM

I haven't looked at the specs on the G5 very carefully but as I recall, you don't have full control of the shutter speed in video mode.

Lots of interesting features though.

Jeff Harper August 1st, 2012 11:01 AM

G5 is not a candidate for pro videography like the GH2, it's settings options are too limited. It's a step down from the GH line. The obvious thing to do for Panasonic pro users is to wait for the GH3. The G5 is not aimed at replacing the GH2, that is clear. Apples and oranges.

GH3 will be coming soon enough, I'm thinking no later than spring or late winter. Has anyone heard anything?

Bill Bruner August 1st, 2012 04:11 PM

Latest rumor I've seen is Photokina in Berlin in September.

Don Litten August 1st, 2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1746482)
G5 is not a candidate for pro videography like the GH2, it's settings options are too limited. It's a step down from the GH line. The obvious thing to do for Panasonic pro users is to wait for the GH3. The G5 is not aimed at replacing the GH2, that is clear. Apples and oranges.

GH3 will be coming soon enough, I'm thinking no later than spring or late winter. Has anyone heard anything?

I'm guessing October but I'm not getting one until they hit the used market.....if then,
My guess the only major improvement will be 1080-60 in the GH3.

To nswer the question though. The GH2 is a great camera. Used bodies are going for 500ish and you can buy new bodies for 699.00 all day.
The G5 is just not up to the job.

Dennis Vogel August 2nd, 2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1746482)

Jeff, did you mean "summer"? Or maybe next spring, 2013? Spring is long gone.

D

Jeff Harper August 2nd, 2012 01:45 PM

Yes, I meant next spring, that was what I had heard at one point.

Chip Thome August 2nd, 2012 02:10 PM

Panny introduced the GH1 at Photokina as they did the GH2. Photokina I understand is every two years. So we can expect Panny to introduce the GH3 this year, again at Photokina. They are kinda predictable that way.

Those who were there waiting for the first GH1s told stories of horrendous waits and completely screwed up distribution. These stories were relay'd to those of us who weren't there for that model, but were anxious for the GH2. Those of us waiting for the GH2 thought "well Panny SURELY must have fixed their distribution problems from the GH1 fiasco by now".

We sure were hopeful.....and proven to be fools. If you have never experienced Panny distribution of their latest hot product, and are thinking of going for the GH3, you are in for a real "treat" !!! If you pre-order your GH3 as soon as you are able to, by the time you finally get it, you will be swearing that Panny distribution must really run by CANON !!! Panny shipped some of the first GH2s before Christmas 2010. Panny was also still building GH1s though until at least Feb. 2011.

IMO, by the time GH3s are "readily" available, Jeff's estimate of Spring to Summer 2013 will prove to be right on.

Don Litten August 2nd, 2012 08:21 PM

Oh I agree with that Chip but I expect the target date to be October.
I fully expect it to be announced at Photokina for a couple of reasons but hane you noticed the price has dropped to $699. That's a dead giveaway that the announcement is right around the corner.

Chip Thome August 2nd, 2012 08:55 PM

Yes Don I did see that $699 price on the body which I agree does signal a close out beginning. Depending on how much inventory is in the channel and how these sell at this price, we could see further reductions. Unless Panny miraculously learned how to gauge demand and inventory levels, I full expect to see a $499 price point at some time yet. That tsunami this time around though adds some variation to the situation over what there was with the GH1. When Panny was building out the rest of the GH1 parts and pieces they had to get rid of all of them, they screwed themselves out of capacity to build GH2s. With talk of the GH3 being weather sealed, new sensor etc, we could see something similar, unless Panny has gotten their crap together this time. That tsunami might be the difference as I am sure most all of their suppliers were in the same boat as Panny. The GH1s at the end also were all unhackable at the time, which pretty much killed the demand for them.

When we start to see the specs being leaked we should be better able to gauge the interest in the GH3. I would not be at all surprised if most of the improvements aren't still oriented. That is one market portion Oly is just kicking their butts on at this time. Panny really needs to play catch up there as well as keeping it's video dominance.