DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH2 firmware update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/509728-gh2-firmware-update.html)

Jeff Harper August 1st, 2012 11:42 AM

GH2 firmware update

Hey guys, I haven't updated my firmware yet. Want to do it, have it downloaded from way back.

What is the skinny on what it fixes or improves? Tips on how to do it?

I guess the first step is to put it on a card.

Bill Bruner August 1st, 2012 04:06 PM

Re: GH2 firmware update

Jeff - for me, the most useful upgrades have been the new 24mbps, 1080/30p high bit rate video mode and the ability to set still and video ETC separately. Since I'd like to get a power zoom someday, the PZ upgrade is something I plan to use in the future.

Here is the Panasonic page explaining the upgrades: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/sup...in/GH2_eng.pdf

Here are the detailed instructions for downloading, extracting and transferring the file to SD: Joint update service for Four Thirds body and lenses | Download | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Here are the procedures for the camera body update: Joint update service for Four Thirds lens and DMC-G1/GH1 camera body step 2 | Download | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Good luck!

Bill

Patrick Janka August 1st, 2012 06:51 PM

Jeff, I'm surprised you haven't updated considering you don't like 24p. For me the 30p setting is a must for certain shoots. I never use 720p60 unless doing slow-mo, which is rare.

Jeff Harper August 1st, 2012 09:48 PM

Patrick, I shoot exclusively in 24p, made the switch last fall. This is because it is the only progressive format universal to all my cameras that can play natively on Blurays other than 60i.

720 60p is still my favorite, because:

1) it is supported by the Bluray standard and converts for DVD really well.

2) I strongly prefer the smooth motion of 60p, and to me it outweighs the benefits of the higher resolution of 1080 60i with it's sucky interlacing.

30p is not supported by Bluray, which all of my work is for. 24p is poorly suited for wedding work in many ways, but I've learned to shoot around the shortcomings. 24p is fine as long as I pan properly, etc, and it does have a nice dreamy look to it, but I really miss 720 60p.

I long for the day when 60p is supported by Bluray.

William Hohauser August 2nd, 2012 04:51 AM

Jeff, I am curious, does 30p not transfer to 59.94p well in your experience? Most of the BluRays I have made are 24p and look great. I have made 60p BluRays from GH2 720 footage but never have had the need to send my 30p material to BluRay. I would think that 30p would just duplicate frames and be unnoticeable.

Jeff Harper August 2nd, 2012 06:05 AM

Bill, I neglected to thank you for your kind links, thank you so much for your help.

William, I have never shot in 30p, so I'm not a good one to ask. As we all know it looks quite nice for the web, but since it's not supported as-is for Bluray I just never bothered. I do know some folks get very nice results with it for DVD, but I just never ventured into it.

Jeff Harper August 2nd, 2012 06:32 AM

I thought there were some improvements to audio with the GH2 update, which is of keen interest to me, or at least that is what I seem to remember reading about early on with it. Am I correct?

William Hohauser August 2nd, 2012 11:24 AM

Nothing was changed with the audio that I noticed or read about.

Jeff Harper August 2nd, 2012 11:30 AM

Thanks William. I guess I misremembered.

Mark Slade August 6th, 2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1746583)
I thought there were some improvements to audio with the GH2 update, which is of keen interest to me, or at least that is what I seem to remember reading about early on with it. Am I correct?

audio upgrade is via hack.....

Angelo Ucciferri August 7th, 2012 11:12 PM

I actually found the dual mode ETC update annoying. (separate on/off buttons for photos and video) Since I only use ETC for video, now it is just another button press to turn on ETC for video, since you have to arrow down a row in the ETC menu. ETC is mapped to the F2 button, and it used to act like an ETC toggle on/off button with the old firmware. But now that I have to arrow down a row, it forces menu navigation where there previously wasn't.

I admit this is very nitpicky, but since the camera can't turn on/off ETC during recording - I am often scrambling to flip this feature on/off in between fast takes, and it adds a step.

Ironically, I've never been able to get ETC to work during photos, and I've tried a few times. But I don't shoot a lot of photos so I've never bothered to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Angelo

Colin Rowe August 8th, 2012 04:43 AM

Angelo.
Getting ETC to work in photo mode confused me as well. It only works in certain modes. Check page 67 of the manual

Bill Bruner August 8th, 2012 05:03 AM

Yes, it's an extra step - but for me, it's worth it to keep from being in the wrong mode when I switch from stills to video.