GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 15th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: GH3: Buzz buzz b-buzz

I use my GH2 for News or run and gun. Did some reports on the Sequim Balloon Festival. I love my Lumix G X 12-35mm f/2.8. This lens is perfect for run and gun and weddings because of the O.I.S. Just did 2 weddings with it. If the GH3 has a headphone jack I will be in heaven. Looks like a great camera. More quality than I need. Love the GH2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Recently bought a GH2 and still have my GH1 sitting around. If the GH3 really does have better better audio and a headphone jack I will sell both and buy a GH3. To me DSLR cameras still have a few areas lacking compared to video cameras. One is audio and the other is fast zoom lenses. If the GH3 really does have a 3.5mm audio jack, optional XLR adapter and an audio out jack for headphones I am sold.

There is also some discussion that since the GH3 for sure uses 50 mbits that they may be using AVC-LongG which uses 4:2:2 10bit. If that is the case then Panasonic just changed the industry again.

Still would love to see better options for us run&gun shooters for lens options however. We are getting there but it has been slow. Had to do a shoot this week where I had to follow two TV hosts around a park to interview people. Wanted to use my GH2 but it just wasn't practical. Had to use an old Sony Z1U and it was a breeze doing run&gun. Makes me kind of regret selling my HMC-40 now. Only a little. The thing was so bad in low light it had to go.
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
I haven't seen it confirmed that the 60p is at 1080. It just says 60p, which we already have at 720.
Patrick - it's confirmed. From Philip Bloom's writeup on the camera after shooting with it:

"Handling on the camera is also much improved, feeling much more solid in your hand. Better controls with a back dial like on other DSLRs and some fantastic features like 1080p 60p for nice slow motion ability."

Cheers,

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
72mbits is right in between the 50 mbit and 100 mbit versions of AVC-Intra. Not sure what they are doing there.
I don't think 50mbit intra would look as good as 50mbit inter, which the camera will already have. Broadcast spec among the main UK broadcasters, for example, is 50mbit for an inter-frame codec and 100mbit for intra-frame, since inter-frame compression is more efficient.

Perhaps they've gone for 72 because that's at the limit of camera/card stability; but it may also be that they're holding back pro/broadcast specs for a future camera aimed at the professional market. Whatever the case, it's a step ahead of the DSLR competition and good enough to keep the target market happy - for a while!

If the price is within UK£500/US$800 of the GH2, it will be a very good deal.
Andrew Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
Patrick - it's confirmed. From Philip Bloom's writeup on the camera after shooting with it:

"Handling on the camera is also much improved, feeling much more solid in your hand. Better controls with a back dial like on other DSLRs and some fantastic features like 1080p 60p for nice slow motion ability."

Cheers,

Bill
The one slow motion shot in the production video is also clearly 1080p which means it is there and it looks good. That may be worth the price alone for anybody that shoots slow motion. Not having to use 720p and scale it up will be huge for those people.

If Peter Jacksons 48p film mode catches on as well the new 50p in the GH3 could be a great way to create that look with only a tiny audio shift.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rowe View Post
I don't think 50mbit intra would look as good as 50mbit inter, which the camera will already have. Broadcast spec among the main UK broadcasters, for example, is 50mbit for an inter-frame codec and 100mbit for intra-frame, since inter-frame compression is more efficient.

Perhaps they've gone for 72 because that's at the limit of camera/card stability; but it may also be that they're holding back pro/broadcast specs for a future camera aimed at the professional market. Whatever the case, it's a step ahead of the DSLR competition and good enough to keep the target market happy - for a while!

If the price is within UK£500/US$800 of the GH2, it will be a very good deal.
Agree. I always considered even 100mbit Intra slightly on the low end. I think that is why Panasonic is creating a 200mbit and 400 mbit version for the near future. I'm pretty sure the 72 was a card speed limit. I think any higher would have required very fast class 10 cards and perhaps 72mbit is about as fast as you can get with decent stability on a class 6 card. It could also just be a stability thing. Even though some of us push the hacks to 100 mbit and even 200 mbit that doesn't exactly mean they are perfectly stable. Out of the box Panasonic can only go so far and still have 100% stability. If we want higher I'm sure the GH3 will eventually be hacked and we will be able to bump that 72mbits to 176mbits or whatever. I would kind of embrace the stability factor since I do a lot of run&gun shooting and may actually consider never hacking the GH3 if it does look that good.
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
99% of the decision has been made for me, all I need to know now is the price...
Preorder price is $1299.99 at Samy's. Compared to other magnesium alloy cameras in its class, that seems reasonable. It is $1500 less than the A99, $800 less than the D600, $200 less than a 7D, and $300 more than a OM-D E-M5 or D7000. I'm in :)
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #22
Major Player

Video shot with GH3 posted by Phil Bloom on Vimeo:
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #23
Major Player

I've been following the GH3 pretty closely. It's mildly impressive from my POV.

First and darned important to me. It's still a Panasonic CONSUMER camera with support from the CONSUMER DIVISION and considering my experience with the warranty in that division....a 1300.00 disposable camera.
That's my opinion only but has cost Panasonic the sale on at least one new GH3.

Second, aside from 1080-60 (which I freely admit I love on my AC160) and a better build, I'm not seeing much the hacked GH2 doesn't have covered.

Third, It may become a super camera if it's hackable, has uncompressed HDMI and doesn't have too many bugs, but that remains to be seen. If I were to change my mind it would be after it and the Black Magic were out for a while and I can get a good feel for both in the real world.

Right now I'm happy with what I have.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #24
Trustee

Don the feeling is kind of the same when the GH2 first came out. The GH2 could not be hacked and to many a hacked GH1 was actually better. In the end most people eventually moved to the GH2 because it became hackable and it was the extra features that really sold the camera.

Keep in mind there is a lot we don't know yet about the GH3. The specs that were leaked if they are in fact even true only scratch the surface of what specs and features the camera will have. In about 24 hours we should all know what the GH3 will be.

Of course the GH2 will still be a great camera. Heck in the right situations I think the hacked GH1 is still a killer camera. In the end it really comes down to ease of workflow and features. Areas where the GH3 may see the most significant upgrades.
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #25
Major Player

Oh I know Thomas, and I'm not even remotely suggesting that others not buy one. As you said, we don't know a lot yet. I'm especially interested in seeing ig they come out with 4,2,2.

The warranty has left a sour taste with me and it will be a long time going away, if ever.

It's always exciting to see new things come out...I don't usually jump on them though.

I've been in a very steep learning curve this year. New cameras, new software, new techniques. I need time to catch up with what I have and become a better videographer, instead of looking for the latest, greatest.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #26
Inner Circle

An interesting paragraph from the official Panasonic press release:

"The DMC-GH3 comes with a variety of connection terminals for more flexible shooting options. The newly added 3.5mm microphone jack allows high quality audio recording using an external microphone. It also comes with a 3.5mm headphone jack enabling monitoring the recorded audio while shooting video real-time. The DMC-GH3 is also capable of real-time image output not only on the OLED display (LVF or the rear monitor) but also on the external monitor via an optional HDMI mini cable simultaneously while recording video. It is suitable for professional video that requires serious monitoring of the imagery. Users can choose to output only the recording content or the content with the setting menus individually depending on the display."

Audio monitoring! But the HDMI part leaves me with a question. Is the 24p HDMI out still messed up or can we now use an external recorder?
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Phillp's blog explains very clearly why this camera is an obvious choice and huge upgrade. I'm sold. Can't say I'll buy one, don't really "need" it, but I'd love to have one.

People can tear it apart and critique fine details, but the bottom line is the only folks who won't upgrade are those that cannot afford to or truly do not need the newer cam.

The new cam offers 3.5 jacks, and the increased bulk of the new camera alone is enough for me. I HATE the mini jacks and the tiny size of the current model.

The increased dynamic range of the camera is also a huge selling point, and this was an issue for me on the GH1, it sucked compared to the GH2, there was no comparison.

Phillips blog also reminds me why I still want the 14-35mm F/2.0 lens.

New short film “Genesis” shot on pre-production Panasonic GH3 | Philip Bloom

Last edited by Jeff Harper; September 17th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #28
Major Player

I think this Panasonic spec. chart answers a lot of questions about codecs.

DMC-GH3 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I love that they will be selling a battery grip for this model. The one I had for the GH2 was of low quality.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #30
Regular Crew

More buzz from over at Videomaker.com. Glad to hear that Panny put a REAL audio in port and headphone jack on this model. Let's see how the story continues to develop. I do agree with Don, though, that in order to be taken more seriously, Panny should move this camera into the professional domain. At least, that will align with a better customer support/service team.

Panasonic announces the LUMIX GH3 | Videomaker.com
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series