GH2 Clips won't play on my Macbook at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 20th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #1
New Boot

GH2 Clips won't play on my Macbook

Greetings,

I have just recently acquired a GH2 to supplement my EX3. I have begun using the camera for family events with the 14-140mm lens. Initially, I shot some small video and photo clips at smaller resolutions onto an older 1Gig card that played back fine in the camera and transferred and was immediately available for play back on my 3 year old Macbook Pro running 10.5.8. All of the photos and video clips also transferred and played back fine inside of iphoto.

I then just tried to download and look at some pictures and video that I shot on a paid job in the 24p and HDR video settings. These were shot on a high speed 20mb/sec San Disk16Gig card. Everything (video and photos) plays back fine in the camera, however, I can only get the photo clips to display but none of the video clips on this same Mac.

I'm sure that there is an easy fix (hopefully) or it's something simple that I'm overlooking.
Joe Lowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH2 Clips won't play on my Macbook

Are you using an editing program? IMovie should see the files but if that doesn't work you could try and use a demo version of ClipWrap to convert the files to QuickTime directly off the SDcard.
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

GH2 clips won't play natively in the QuickTime player, but you can convert them (losslessly) to .MOV using ClipWrap, mentioned above.

You can also view the .MTS files directly from the camera's card using VLC, a free open-source media player.

VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Note that there are some issues with display artifacts in VLC as you skip around in the file but don't panic, they'll be fine after you convert them.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Mountain Lion will now play the clips directly although it is a bit of an odd way of doing it.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There is a plug-in from Panasonic to play .MTS in Quicktime Player - AVC Importer plug-in for Quicktime.

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro...pt/agree_e.htm

The Panasonic GH2 » FrugalFilmmakers.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series