Two channel audio recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Two channel audio recording

I searched a lot for an answer, but no luck.
I just purchased the Pana GH2 with the 14-140mm and the 20mm lenses and will arrive today.
I want to use it with two microphone source, like two lavalier mic (Sennheiser G2) or one shotgun mike for channel one (which one??) and one lav. for channel two
It's possible, so I can edit, like channel one is the shotgun mike and channel two is the lav?
Also, if the answer is yes, how about using a headphone for monitoring audio levels?
Thanks
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Two channel audio recording

The closest approximation you can manage to this is using a Juicedlink or Beachtek box to mix two mics and send the stereo signal to the GH2. I've done this before using dedicated audio recorders to record reference sound into the GH2.

There is no way to know exactly what audio you're recording on the GH2.
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You might consider investing $100 (US) in a audio recorder like the Zoom H1 and a lav. It syncs perfectly with video, gives you your second line of audio.

I shoot weddings using 2 GH2s. Kevin's answer is correct, a Juiced Link or Beachtek box will do what you need, but in my opinion it would make more sense to use the Zoom. I have a nice wireless unit that I use much less often since I bought my Zoom recorder, it's so much easier and faster than having to hook up a wireless unit to my camera. Big time saver.

But if you must use a wireless lav and shotgun the way you descibe, Kevin's solution is the best.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 11th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks the answers.
So, if I purchases the Zoom H1, I don't need my Sennheiser lavs or a shootgun mic?
This is my workflow:
I want to record two separate channels. One with the external mic. (let say a Rode shotgun or this Zoom H1) and the on second channel I use the output from the band's or DJ's mixer. That's how I recording live shows, so the quality is basically CD quality, but I mix some "real" live audio (60/40% mixed at post) recorded to a separate channel with the external mic.
How I d that with the GH2?
Laz
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Maybe a shotgun on camera, Zoom doing line feed. I personally like the Videomic pro or other smaller DSLR sized shotguns, buy the regular Videomic is as good as the Pro version, just a bigger and more cumbersome.
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Major Player

So, with the GH2 I can record only one channel of audio? If I want to use two source, I NEED one other audio recorder?
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You can record from two audio sources, with GH2 IF you use something like what Kevin suggested, the Beachtek box, or something like it. But it would be simpler in my opinion to use a shotgun on your camera, and then use the Zoom separately as your second line of audio.
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Major Player

OK, thanks. So how can I synchronize in post the second channel, recorded with the Zoom H1. Also, can I connect my wireless Sennheiser G2 system to this Zoom H1?
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Not sure why you would want to hook the Zoom to your wireless. You use the Zoom in place of the wireless.

To sync the audio from the zoom you would sync it like any audio trace. It's pretty simple, but hard for me to verbalize, but it is easy to do. If you've never done it someone could explain better than I could.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Trustee

You can also use a cheap special audio splitter cable that will take in two 3.5mm connectors and it sends connector 1 to the left channel only and connector 2 to the right channel only. Works great with traditional video cameras. On my GH1 it worked but the AGC sort of kills it if one mic is loader then the other since the AGC works on the stereo signal and not each channel. I honestly have not tried it yet on my GH2 but it may work better since you can dial down the the AGC.

Don't have a link right now but these adapters can be bought on Amazon for like $5.00.

Clearly not a perfect solution but you can't beat the price. When you edit you have to split your stereo track into two audio tracks. Pretty easy to do these days.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Major Player

Thomas,I thought about that, but I never did that way, because since I started my busines (21 years ago), I always had a professional, XLR cameras, with two separate audio channel. I never used "prosumer" cameras for my work, this is my first one. I love the look of the video of the GH2, so I thought I can try it.
Jeff, I know how sync in post, sometimes I did that for different reason. But, I still don't understand the workflow of this Zomm H1. May I need to see it first and I will understand right after.
Laz
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Here's a Zoom and GH2 set up. I am monitoring and sending the Zoom output to the GH2 with a Sescom line to mic with headphone jack cable. The Zoom is attached to the tripod with a Gorilla Pod. The talent hasn't shown up yet, what a way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Two channel audio recording-image.jpg  
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Shoot went well and the Zoom track was automatically synced up with the video track in FCPX using the synchronize tracks function.
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #14
Major Player

So, you recorded with the camera or on the Zoom? Or both?
When you recording with the camera you always need to start and stop the Zoom together with the camera?
Laz
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Both. The output of the Zoom goes to the camera for a reference track. I start the camera first and then the Zoom. At the end I stop the Zoom and then the camera. Easier to sync the audio later if each shot has it's own audio file. It's not the cleanest set-up but it works well and the Zoom audio is much better than the GH2 audio.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series