DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Another Panasonic for wife (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/512264-another-panasonic-wife.html)

Laszlo Horvath November 23rd, 2012 08:56 AM

Another Panasonic for wife

I have a GH2 for professional use, and we looking to buy another compact camera for my wife for not professional, every day use. We checked the Sony NEX5r, she like it, but no built in flash. (important for her)
So, we looking in the Panasonic range, but they have a few different models, like the GX1 or the GF3, GF5, GF5X etc.
Also two different 14-42 mm lens. The smaller, but expensive 14-42 mm and a bigger bulkier 14-42 mm.
Any recommendations?
Again, it's for everyday use for my wife.
Thanks

Lee Mullen November 23rd, 2012 09:37 AM

Re: Another Panasonic for wife

Panasonic Lumix FZ200

Kevin McRoberts November 23rd, 2012 09:49 AM

After trying a few, I tend to prefer Olympus' compact m43 cameras for 'simple' photography. JPG color rendition and auto white balance seem to be closer to the mark than the Panasonic offerings. We have an older EPL1 for such duties... I've seen it still available in the $150 range. Newer version of the camera likely make some improvements.

Not a huge fan of most of the cheap slow Panny zooms; for general-purpose walkabout photography, I like a nice, simple, moderately fast, slightly wider prime lens. Pancakes are great for this purpose with the smaller cameras. The Panasonic 20/1.7 and 14/2.5 are both swell lenses, and the Olympus 17/2.8 and newer 17/1.8 work very well. The Olympus 12/2 also fits the width/speed/size equation nicely, but at a much heftier cost.

Jeff Harper November 23rd, 2012 10:47 AM

I agree with Kevin. Olympus compact cameras produce excellent images, very nice cameras.

Laszlo Horvath November 23rd, 2012 04:33 PM

Thanks guys. I checked the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, but that is too bulky. I'll check the Olympus line tomorrow. I also have the Pani 20mm f1.7, so i can attach that to my wife's camera and steal it from her when I need it (I already hear her: "why no zoom???????"
Well... she need to adjust. (herself)
BTW:at B&H the Olympus E-PM1 is only $349. Price is right, but the camera? I see no built in flash. I know she not will like that. So, I stock with Panni?
Thanks again.

Chip Thome November 23rd, 2012 05:55 PM

I haven't had any Olys, just Panny M4/3. I have and do use a GH2 and a GF3, the GF being the closer to pocketable version. The GF does have the built in flash and IMO is one of the two cameras the 14-42 power zoom was invented for. I have found that for me or my 10 year old granddaughter, we need OIS on our camera. Either of the Panny 14-42 zooms give you that and it is selected in the menu to turn it on or off if not on lens. You can readily find near new GF3 bodies around for around $150 or maybe a bit less. These cameras IMO are worth more than they are selling for now. I think the sharp decline in price reflects an overabundance having been produced of them.

Bill Bruner November 24th, 2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath (Post 1764795)
Thanks guys. I checked the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, but that is too bulky. I'll check the Olympus line tomorrow. I also have the Pani 20mm f1.7, so i can attach that to my wife's camera and steal it from her when I need it (I already hear her: "why no zoom???????"
Well... she need to adjust. (herself)
BTW:at B&H the Olympus E-PM1 is only $349. Price is right, but the camera? I see no built in flash. I know she not will like that. So, I stock with Panni?
Thanks again.

Hi Laszlo - I don't know how much shipping and taxes from B&H will be, but you can get a from Amazon Canada. The GF3 does have a built-in flash.

Here is a size comparison between your GH2 and the GF3: http://camerasize.com/compare/#166,167

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Laszlo Horvath November 27th, 2012 09:00 AM

Thanks guys.
I end it up with a Panni GF2 with stock 14-42mm lens. Used, but look like spanking new. The guy packaged, like new, even I asked him if he ever opened. Paid $200. The guy throwed in a Duracell Class 10 32gb memory card in original package, never opened, and a lether case for the camera. Can't refused this deal. It's a bit on the heavier side, I hope wife will love it
Thanks again.