DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   5D Mark III vs GH3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/513096-5d-mark-iii-vs-gh3.html)

Larry Secrest January 2nd, 2013 07:53 PM

5D Mark III vs GH3

I'm curious to see if people agree here, but I'd say the Canon produces a better image.

Kevin McRoberts January 2nd, 2013 07:59 PM

Re: 5D Mark III vs GH3

Wouldn't call it "better"... "slightly different" is the proper description.

Nate Haustein January 2nd, 2013 08:31 PM

If I was shooting corporate training or information video, I'd take the GH3 every time. Narrative or beauty, 5Dmk3. The 5D has a 'prettier' and warmer image right out of the camera, but I'm sure you could get the GH3 very close if you wanted to.

Bo Skelmose January 2nd, 2013 11:44 PM

Canon has improved with mk3 - but not enough to pay 2,5x the price of GH3. Even if the price was similar I would go for GH3 and 1920x1080 50P. :)

Jim Snow January 3rd, 2013 02:30 AM

Both cameras provide the capability of adjusting the color profile to achieve the desired result. Basically all your clips from each camera show is that the color profiles are set differently in each camera.

One thing I found interesting is the dynamic range of the GH3 appears to be greater on the shots under the bridge.

Noa Put January 3rd, 2013 04:52 AM

The image on the 5DIII looks quite soft at times like the shot at 00:25 where you see the GH3 has more detail, especially in the leaves on the tree. I prefer the sharper image from the GH3.

Bill Bruner January 3rd, 2013 06:16 AM

A lot of this is viewer preference. I think the consensus is that Canon images are "softer". Some people actually prefer that. Personally, I like my images sharp - I can always soften them in post.

That said, the 5D Mark III is a great still camera - but, for video, I'll never go back to a camera without an articulated LCD or 1080/60p.

Cheers,

Bill

Larry Secrest January 3rd, 2013 07:55 AM

I understand what you all say, but look again, are you sure the canon image is softer? Do you really "see" the GH3 sharper? I don't. Is is me, my monitor, or both?

Noa Put January 3rd, 2013 08:09 AM

Here I clearly see it in some shots, especially the one around 00:25

Kevin McRoberts January 3rd, 2013 08:32 AM

What I see is a ~$2500, ~32oz. camera/lens combo with OIS and no record time limit creating images at least as well if not better than a ~$4500, 5lb camera/lens combo without IS and a 30min record time limit.

Khoi Pham January 3rd, 2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1770877)
Here I clearly see it in some shots, especially the one around 00:25

You have to understand that 5DM3 is full frame, therefore it has more shallow DOF, at .25 seconds, the chair sharpness is identical on both camera, but the background the GH3 is sharper because it has more DOF, that is why the leafs on the tree is sharper,this is the reason why many people thinks it is sharper, it might be but not at .25 seconds.

Noa Put January 3rd, 2013 10:02 AM

Based on the comments for that video on the vimeo page I"m not the only one saying the gh3 is sharper. So you are saying that because it's full frame it's soft?

Khoi Pham January 3rd, 2013 10:40 AM

No I said it looks soft because full frame has less dof and so one part of the picture is sharp and the rest is soft, in the particular scene that you mentioned, it is clearly that the 5D M3 was focus on the swinging chair, and since full frame has less dof, the rest of the picture is soft or out of focus, the same scene with the GH3, since it is 2X crop it has much more dof and so the whole picture looks sharp, from the chair to the trees, if you want to compare sharpness, you need to know where the shooter was focus both camera on and compared it there, not the whole picture.

Oleg Kalyan January 4th, 2013 12:38 AM

A third part of a review of GH2, GH3, 5dmk3, BMC, download the uncompressed files, in part 1.
Obvoius 5dmk3 look pale compared to other three.

Khoi Pham January 4th, 2013 06:25 AM

Yes the raw footage of the 5D looks awful, magenta like they said, but they also said that they are not Canon expert and thought that it would perform much better if there is someone familiar with the Canon to shoot it, these guys are GH2/3 expert.