DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Old lens to use with the GH3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/513359-old-lens-use-gh3.html)

Aletha Jones January 9th, 2013 11:11 PM

Old lens to use with the GH3

Hello All,
I am planing to buy the Panasonic GH3 whenever it becomes available. I have researched lenses specific to the camera and have determined which of those to buy. My question, however, is what can I do with my Canon manual 14x zoom lens for the XL1- XL2 camcorder? I know that I held onto this gear too long (XL1 camcorder). If I can find a buyer for this gear, I will sell it. But that 14x lens is just about brand new. Is there anyway to reasonably adapt it to use with the GH3? Or should I just let it go? Appreciate all your input.

Adrian Frearson January 10th, 2013 02:59 AM

Re: Old lens to use with the GH3

I expect it would vignette quite severely. I guess you could have one made with the idea of using it in ETC mode?

Bill Bruner January 10th, 2013 04:09 AM

Hi Aletha - Adrian is probably right. It would almost certainly vignette. Sadly, even if your could find or make an adapter, your XL1 lens is designed to cover a 1/3" sensor - which is much smaller than the sensor area of the GH3's micro 4/3 sensor - and even smaller than the portion of the sensor used by the Extended Tele Converter (ETC) mode:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ilHAFynRQX...comparison.jpg

Probably a good idea to sell the XL1 and the lens as a package.

Congrats on the decision to buy the GH3!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Aletha Jones January 11th, 2013 12:28 AM

Adrian and Bill, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I always start out feeling apprehensive asking what I believe are silly questions;but, when I receive such helpful and insightful information and encouragement, I know I belong to the right community. I'll sell it all! I am excited to get that GH3; and, you can be sure I'll be back for more information.

Once again, I appreciate your help.

Aletha

Adrian Frearson January 11th, 2013 07:15 AM

Aletha, seems a shame to sell it, if it's still in good condition, but I imagine that it could be a bit of an experiment to get use of it with a GH3. Best of luck.

Aletha Jones January 12th, 2013 10:01 PM

Oh yeah, Adrian, that 14x lens is next to new; that's why it was killing me not to get better use of it. I dare say I didn't get any return on value. But, I don't possess the expertise to manage or know the issues that would result from trying to use it on GH3.

Thanks again,
Aletha

Zach Love January 13th, 2013 07:36 PM

I think in ETC mode you're at or about a 1/2" chip or 2/3" chip, which means you'd still get some vignetting with the XL1 lens even in ETC mode.

You can use a 2/3" ENG lens on the GH3 in ETC mode, or if the lens has a 2x (doubler) it'll cover the entire sensor. The adapters for 2/3" B4 lenses to m43 are easy to come by (ebay, etc).

Leon Kolenda January 16th, 2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aletha Jones (Post 1772310)
Hello All,
I am planing to buy the Panasonic GH3 whenever it becomes available. I have researched lenses specific to the camera and have determined which of those to buy. My question, however, is what can I do with my Canon manual 14x zoom lens for the XL1- XL2 camcorder? I know that I held onto this gear too long (XL1 camcorder). If I can find a buyer for this gear, I will sell it. But that 14x lens is just about brand new. Is there anyway to reasonably adapt it to use with the GH3? Or should I just let it go? Appreciate all your input.

Well you just may have an option coming shortly, Take a read on this just might be the ticket.
Metabones - Home

Pretty wild stuff!

Adrian Frearson January 16th, 2013 07:48 AM

The Metabones adapter won't work for lenses which were intended for a smaller format.