DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   options for GH3 external mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/513695-options-gh3-external-mic.html)

Philip Fass January 22nd, 2013 02:41 PM

options for GH3 external mic?

Trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to attach an external mic to the GH3. The Panasonic shotgun is an obvious but fairly expensive choice.

I own a Sanken CS-3e that is, unfortunately, phantom only. So in theory I could use it with a separate power supply and XLR-3.5 adapter.

I guess I could also look for a less expensive dynamic mic with 3.5 connector, as long as the specs are compatible.

I figure I'll need to spend at least 2/3 the cost of the Panasonic mic, so I'm just wondering if the Panny is the one logical choice.

Ian Atkins January 22nd, 2013 07:37 PM

Re: options for GH3 external mic?

I bought the Rode VideoMic Pro and it works very well with the GH3. It is also a good size for it.

Philip Fass January 23rd, 2013 07:08 AM

What's the diff between the regular VideoMic and the Pro? I haven't found a clear explanation yet. Thanks.

Jeff Harper January 23rd, 2013 09:44 AM

The primary difference is the size. Sound quality is about the same. Look at photos of them and you can see the obvious differences. The pro is made for DSLR style cameras, the regular one is much larger.

Jeff Harper January 23rd, 2013 09:51 AM

is another choice. Smaller, less expensive. Look at the photos on the page and you'll see how small it is.

I own both Rodes and the Sennheiser above as well. The Sennheiser is the coolest, smallest microphone of the three, awesome size and easy to handle. The Videomic Pro I dislike but it sounds better. It is awkward to replace the batteries and the shockmount is horrible, IMO. The Videomic is too large for DSLR but can work, it's just not ergonomic at all.

All in all, the Videomic pro is worth the extra. The Sennheiser is somewhat tinny, but it works OK.

Gary Huff January 23rd, 2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fass (Post 1774808)
What's the diff between the regular VideoMic and the Pro? I haven't found a clear explanation yet. Thanks.

The Rode VideoMic Pro has a +20dB gain feature that helps eliminate the bad hiss on the Canon DSLR audio. I know that the Panasonic GH2 doesn't have nearly that bad of an issue because I have routinely used internal audio that was passed into the cam from a Sescom pad cable coming out of a DR100. For smaller form projects, the AC3 was more than acceptable in quality, contrasted with the Canon 60D I also shoot on that has poor audio even with the same setup, and is only useful as a scratch track.

Frankly, the quality you will get on the GH3 will probably be identical between the VideoMic and VideoMic Pro, but the Pro version is also much smaller while retaining quality, which I really appreciate. I would only recommend the Video Mic if you'd like to save the money in the price differential. Otherwise, I'd get the Pro version for its smaller size (and don't bother with the +20dB feature on your GH3...not really necessarily).

Ian Atkins January 23rd, 2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1774824)
The primary difference is the size. Sound quality is about the same. Look at photos of them and you can see the obvious differences. The pro is made for DSLR style cameras, the regular one is much larger.

I agree 100% on the battery replacement. Horrible. I had to Youtube how to do it b/c I was afraid I would break it. Also, it feels a little "cheap." Plastic, etc. That being said, the sound quality is great. The internal mic on the GH3 is also really good.

Larry Becker January 23rd, 2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fass (Post 1774696)
Trying to figure out the most cost-effective way to attach an external mic to the GH3. The Panasonic shotgun is an obvious but fairly expensive choice.

I own a Sanken CS-3e that is, unfortunately, phantom only. So in theory I could use it with a separate power supply and XLR-3.5 adapter.

I guess I could also look for a less expensive dynamic mic with 3.5 connector, as long as the specs are compatible.

I figure I'll need to spend at least 2/3 the cost of the Panasonic mic, so I'm just wondering if the Panny is the one logical choice.

I have the Rode NTG2 mic and hoped that could just be used with the GH3. It would work fine, but I had to put it in a shock mount (which I had) and get an adaptor cable (didn't have), and it was a lot of extra stuff to keep track of for a shoot.

I ended up springing for the Panasonic mic and am happy with it. It came with a "dead cat" and is able to be controlled (shotgun or stereo) and powered from the camera. It was pricey and a little hard to get (Amazon finally), but it works well, is easy to use, and compatible with the GH3.

So for GH3-only shoots or B-Roll, this is fine. Anything more (if I need a lavalier mic or boom) and I'll use my Canon XF300 or sort out an XLR solution for the GH3 (Jucedlink or Beachtek). As you say, you're spending 2/3 of it already - maybe just as well go the extra and get one made for the camera?

Larry

Erik Naso January 27th, 2013 10:53 AM

The Rode VideoMic Pro is one great little shotgun mic. Shot this little nat sound piece with only the VideoMic on the GH3. Also used the Lumix 35-100 and the 12-35.

William Hohauser January 27th, 2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1774830)
Amazon.com: Sennheiser MKE 400 Shotgun Microphone - Black: Musical Instruments is another choice. Smaller, less expensive. Look at the photos on the page and you'll see how small it is.

I own both Rodes and the Sennheiser above as well. The Sennheiser is the coolest, smallest microphone of the three, awesome size and easy to handle. The Videomic Pro I dislike but it sounds better. It is awkward to replace the batteries and the shockmount is horrible, IMO. The Videomic is too large for DSLR but can work, it's just not ergonomic at all.

All in all, the Videomic pro is worth the extra. The Sennheiser is somewhat tinny, but it works OK.

I have both and they have their pluses and minuses. The Sennheiser is smaller but it is more delicate. The wind screen slips off easily and I eventually lost mine. The replacement wind screen I purchased snaps on and is better all around. Unfortunately the shock mount broke and that's not replaceable. It still works with a crude rubber band fix but I only use it on a stabile tripod mounted camera now. The Rode sounds better, is larger but not by much. The shock mount rubber bands detach in transit at times but are easily set back in place.

Chris Duczynski January 27th, 2013 05:32 PM

I think any on-camera mic is limited to ambient sound only. If you want interviews I suggest a set of Rads/boom and a beachtek or juiced link.
For on camera the sennheiser is best for sure, but the Rode is an excellent low cost alternative.

Erik Naso January 27th, 2013 07:11 PM

Sennheiser/Sony wireless's work very well. Just attach it to the hot shoe and plug it in the mic jack and set the level in the camera. I wouldn't want to use a shotgun mic attached to the cameras hot shoe for interviews.

Chris Duczynski January 27th, 2013 07:50 PM

Most Sony wireless mics are balanced with XLR inputs, you really need to put them through a Beachtek or juiced link accessory as they also disable AGC in your camera.

Erik Naso January 28th, 2013 10:00 AM

I have the Sony URX-P2 as well as the Sennheiser and both come with XLR and 1/8" cables.

Guy Smith January 28th, 2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Naso (Post 1775587)
The Rode VideoMic Pro is one great little shotgun mic. Shot this little nat sound piece with only the VideoMic on the GH3. Also used the Lumix 35-100 and the 12-35.

Nice work, Erik! It's nice to meet another San Diego-based member. Did you use any sort of interface or did you plug the mic directly into the camera?