GH3 and Nikon Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Major Player

GH3 and Nikon Lenses

I received my GH3 two days ago and had a video shoot last night so there wasn't much time to learn the camera. I have 5 Nikon lenses and a $27 MFT adapter with aperture control I bought on Amazon which meant all manual focus.

I ended up shooting about 2/3's of the session with the GH3, 1/3 with my Nikon d800 and one shot with my EX1r. The GH3 with Nikon glass is a superb combination. It was easier to focus than I expected using either the screen or the evf. I brought my ipad thinking I would need to WIFI it for an external monitor but it ended up not being necessary. The EVF by the way, is better than I expected after reading the reviews. After adjusting the diopter it's plenty sharp and you can accurately focus with it.

The camera seemed to particularly like my 50mm 1.8g FX lens which if my math is correct is 150mm on the GH3. The clarity and sharpness is astounding.

One thing I discovered after reviewing the shots was the exposure meter was smarter than I was. I took several shots with what appeared to be the right exposure and again relying on the meter and the meter won every time. Next time I'll know.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: GH3 and Nikon Lenses

With the GH3 we still have the same size sensor the GH2 has, so with an approximate 2x crop factor your 50mm should be a 100mm equivalent.

Very good to read your comments about the EVF on the GH3. Mine is on the UPS truck "out for delivery" but I'm on the tail end of his route and he often doesn't get around to my street until 5 to 7PM.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Major Player

You won't be disappointed, its a great camera.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Agreed. It has done everything I have asked it to do, and often surprised me by delivering more. Very good value for the money.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Major Player

The macro primes and telephoto zooms in my kit are all Nikon; even the "budget" Sigmas (50-150/2.8, 50-500) are very snappy on my GH2.

Metabones will soon (March or so) release their Speedbooster 0.71x focal reducer adapter in a Nikon-MFT version, usable even with DX lenses on m43... so widening the FOV by 0.71x and adding 1 stop of speed. Can't come soon enough, IMO.
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
The macro primes and telephoto zooms in my kit are all Nikon; even the "budget" Sigmas (50-150/2.8, 50-500) are very snappy on my GH2.

Metabones will soon (March or so) release their Speedbooster 0.71x focal reducer adapter in a Nikon-MFT version, usable even with DX lenses on m43... so widening the FOV by 0.71x and adding 1 stop of speed. Can't come soon enough, IMO.
That's great news. Being able to use all my Nikon glass makes this a $1300 camera vs $5000 with new lenses.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series