Autofocus on GH2 versus GH3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Autofocus on GH2 versus GH3

I have a GH2 and a GH3 on the way. A problem I have with the GH2 is that when I use the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens in low light it can lose focus when shooting in autofocus mode. When this occurs, it goes extremely out of focus and has a difficult time recovering. For those who have a GH3, how does it compare to the GH2 with this issue?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Autofocus on GH2 versus GH3

I haven't run a comparison between the two cameras but low light is potentially problematic for autofocus in general. I was doing some night street scene tests with my GH3 and the 20mm just a few nights ago and on my street (which isn't really well lit) it "lost focus" right away so I switched to manual focus for the rest of the test series.

If you have MF ASSIST set to ON and AF+MF ASSIST also set to ON, you can "half press" the shutter button for autofocus then hold that half press while putting pressure on the focus ring, the magnified assist will "kick in".

While set for Manual Focus putting pressure on or moving the focus ring will cause it to "kick in" and touching the shutter button lightly will allow your viewfinder to go back to normal.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

While the GH3 is a little better in low light, I have not experienced it as holding the auto-focus better in low light. The auto-focus does seem to be quicker although. The GH2 is frustrating as it might work fine in low light for an hour and then suddenly go out of focus and stay that way without any change in the subject or background.
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Major Player

I just don't trust autofocus when shooting wide open around F2.8. The DOF is so narrow with 45mm and up that expanded focus on manual is really the only way to go.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series