Nikon V Olympus interview lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Nikon V Olympus interview lens

Any preferences for Nikon portrait lens V Olympus portrait lens for shooting interviews??
Which do you like ??
I'm using a DX 18-70 F3.5/4.5 Nikkor on one body and a Olympus 45 mm F1.8 on the other and differences are subtle. Just wish the Nikkor was faster.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Nikon V Olympus interview lens

I use an old pre-Ai Nikkor 105mm f2.5 I thought that 105mm would have been too long given the GH2's crop factor, but it's worked very well for single person interviews. I chose the older lens over the newer version because the older yellow/brown coating rendered a warmer image on the GH2, whereas the newer coatings yielded a slight purple/green cast. I've also used the lens on our Nikon D7000 (the lens flange was modified to work with newer bodies) and the images look very nice. Cost was $95 at a retail store specializing in used equipment.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Can't say which is better for everything... because everything has uses for some things in the right situation.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say it should always be a portrait lens.... I have a mess of lenses and nearly all of them have been used on an interview at least once... even my 7-14 zoom.
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I like the range around 45mm because I feel it's the closest to a non distorted pespective - so I call that a portrait lens. The nikon has a certain "softness" about it rather than the hard edged Olyympus, but thats purely a subjective view. For interviews it looks very cinematic and balanced.
I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on other Nikon/Nikkor V Olympus lenses of similar focal length
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Chris, I think generally speaking that the Olympus/Panasonic lenses are sharper than many other lenses. This sharpness can be either good or not so good. Lenses are unique and do have their own characteristics.

In my personal experience, I have found the Olympus 12-60mm lens to be a touch softer and lovelier than the primes, depending on the lighting and subject matter.

Based on your line of questioning, I somehow suspect you would like the 12-60, I still miss that lens after selling it.

I shot an outdoor sequence of a bride and groom with the 12-60mm, and when I show it to prospective clients they are always knocked out by the images, as I am.

It would make for an amazing interview lens, provided lighting was sufficient. And besides, you really can't beat a zoom for simplifying life.

I agree, your Nikor would be much too slow for me. I sold the 12-60mm because I found it too slow for much indoor video work.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 27th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series