GH3 vs D800 vs FS100 which to get? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 14th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Major Player

GH3 vs D800 vs FS100 which to get?

I've been shooting with a GH2 for a while now, happy with the results under bright conditions (day) but unhappy that it does not have slow-mo and a small sensor (mainly due to the limit of my Nikon Lenses being all too long).

So I'm looking at upgrading, thoughts on how the GH3 compares to the D800 and FS100 [I know there is a price difference, ignore it as I can afford these cameras]. I'm ignoring the canons because lens attachment is harder with some of my older Nikkor Glass to a Canon mount.

GH3 - Upgrade to GH2 and has 60fps
D800 - All my Nikon Glass works natively, Large Sensor
FS100 - XLR inputs, Full Sensor, 60fps

Thanks,

Graeme
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH3 vs D800 vs FS100 which to get?

Do remember that the FS100 records to inferior 28mbps AVCHD 2.0. GH3 has 50mbps 60p.

They've never revealed the exact recording bitrate of the D800, but it's around AVCHD specs at 24mbps. You have the option to capture clean HDMI however, and that yields much higher quality.

We're waiting for word of the Metabones MFT speed booster adapter that can shrink DX to MFT. (FX to MFT is not possible, there'll be crop factor)

If you want full frame bokeh badly, I'd say go for the D800 and pair it with a external recorder. Remember you can still do 720p60 with the D800. If you need 1080 60p badly, a GH3 would do fine.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Major Player

I have the GH3 and D800. I prefer the GH3 for video, the D800 is far better for stills. The d800 has slightly better audio. I've had sensor problems with the Nikon in fact it's currently in for repairs, no problems with the Panasonic. If it were me, I would also look into the d7100 as it does much of what the d800 does but costs less.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Do remember that the FS100 records to inferior 28mbps AVCHD 2.0. GH3 has 50mbps 60p.

They've never revealed the exact recording bitrate of the D800, but it's around AVCHD specs at 24mbps. You have the option to capture clean HDMI however, and that yields much higher quality.

We're waiting for word of the Metabones MFT speed booster adapter that can shrink DX to MFT. (FX to MFT is not possible, there'll be crop factor)

If you want full frame bokeh badly, I'd say go for the D800 and pair it with a external recorder. Remember you can still do 720p60 with the D800. If you need 1080 60p badly, a GH3 would do fine.
You have to look at more than just bitrate. The FS100's AVCHD is widely regarded as some of
the best around, it certainly looks better than higher bitrate stuff from some Canon DSLR's.
Possibly because it is a camera made for motion pictures and only motion pictures, no
compromises are made so that you can also capture stills with the same camera. FS100 also
has clean HDMI out so you can capture much higher bitrate video if needed. The AVCHD is so
good though, I'd test the external recorder myself and see if you need it. I didn't, even for
green screen. However, you CAN'T shoot stills with the FS100! For pure motion work I'd go
with the FS100 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. However if you do motion+stills
the GH 3 would be my choice. Really you should test them yourself because everyone likes
different things.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Major Player

One more camera to throw in the mix is the 4K JVC. On a whim I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and simply cannot believe how stunning the footage is, especially considering the cost. There is absolutely no comparison between that and my other video cameras which include the gh3, the d800 and an ex1r.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Trustee

I've been wondering about that 4K JVC.........do you find the 1080P stuff just as impressive?
Does it resolve much more detail than the GH3 in 1080P mode?

You should post a side-by-side with GH3 and JVC for us viewers to scrutinize---thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series