How to enable continuous LCD overlay display on GH3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Trustee

How to enable continuous LCD overlay display on GH3

The status overly on the GH3's LCD display and viewfinder times out after a few seconds and goes away. This is a problem in some shooting situations. Has anyone found a way to disable this function? This would be a reasonable feature if it could be selected in the menu but it's a major pain for it to be permanently enabled. This wasn't a problem on the GH2. There are many improvements on the GH3 that I really like but this 'improvement' is a real pain.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: How to enable continuous LCD overlay display on GH3

I've researched this. Currently there is no way to disable it. The reason for it, is that the screen is OLED (which is known for burning in pixels if displayed for a long period of time). This 'feature' is designed so that there will be no burning in on the viewfinder.
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, that explains a few things. I really don't like to be surprised like this.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah I think it caught a few people by surprise. I would have just opted for a regular screen rather than OLED if they had to do something like this. To me though, it's not too big of a deal - though I see how it can affect others.
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk View Post
I've researched this. Currently there is no way to disable it. The reason for it, is that the screen is OLED (which is known for burning in pixels if displayed for a long period of time). This 'feature' is designed so that there will be no burning in on the viewfinder.
If this was a valid justification, then why give us an intervalometer? If I leave my camera on a tripod pointing at a fairly static scene, that image is going to be burned in.

It should be our choice!

Steve
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series