GH3 in San Diego - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 26th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: GH3 in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bowey View Post
I am soooo amazed at the quality that comes out of this camera. When I look at videos on you tube This camera blows everything I see away. Excellent. What are this settings you used and what did you edit with. I use vegas pro.
Echoing Joe, Andrew, please tell us what settings you used on your GH3.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Vogel View Post
Echoing Joe, Andrew, please tell us what settings you used on your GH3.

D
It's the factory natural picture profile. Most of it is shot at 24p 72mbps with a few 60p for slow mo and of course a few raw time-lapse shots with the intervalometer. No real grading just a few exposure tweaks.
Andrew Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Maybe so Les, but so what? Let's allow those folks who are enthusiastic about the camera enjoy the newness of this fine camera. Let it go!...
You grant me more power than I have. The OP asserted people were dismissing the GH3 over the BMC. As an owner of a GH3, I asked why someone should get a GH3 over a BMC. For those wanting an image acquisition device, its apples to apples and the two are fare game to compare. In fact, it's why I posted in the thread... trying to ellicit factual information instead of all the hyperbole.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #19
Major Player

For me, this is not an either/or. My GH3 is very close to film with its DoF control and resolution, but its 8 bit color depth and 10 stops of DR make it susceptible to video-like blown highlights and unrecoverable shadows.

So, after I saw John Brawley's test footage, I went ahead and preordered the 10 to 12 bit, 13 stop DR Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera from Adorama (for less than the price of a 12-35 lens :)).

It is true that the BPCC doesn't take stills, has no intervalometer, and lacks 1080/60p, but for high contrast scenarios - outdoors especially - I will use the BPCC.

When I need to shoot stills, time lapse, or 50mbps 1080/60p action or slow motion - I will pick up the GH3.

With the same lens mount, mic & headphone jacks, and codec compatibility (.mov and ProRes) - these cameras will be a great complement to one another.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Those are great points Bill. It's intriguing to get 13 stops of DR at this price range.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
For me, this is not an either/or. My GH3 is very close to film with its DoF control and resolution, but its 8 bit color depth and 10 stops of DR make it susceptible to video-like blown highlights and unrecoverable shadows.

So, after I saw John Brawley's test footage, I went ahead and preordered the 10 to 12 bit, 13 stop DR Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera from Adorama (for less than the price of a 12-35 lens :)).

It is true that the BPCC doesn't take stills, has no intervalometer, and lacks 1080/60p, but for high contrast scenarios - outdoors especially - I will use the BPCC.

When I need to shoot stills, time lapse, or 50mbps 1080/60p action or slow motion - I will pick up the GH3.

With the same lens mount, mic & headphone jacks, and codec compatibility (.mov and ProRes) - these cameras will be a great complement to one another.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Absolutely. There is no one perfect camera for every situation. Different tools for different jobs. I plan on getting a pocket camera as well. It's a no brainer.
Andrew Armstrong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series