DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Do I Need Silkypix? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/517186-do-i-need-silkypix.html)

Dennis Vogel June 13th, 2013 04:49 PM

Do I Need Silkypix?

I do all my video editing in Vegas and photo editing in Photoshop Elements. Do I need Panasonic's Silkypix software for anything?

D

Tony Davies-Patrick June 14th, 2013 06:00 AM

Re: Do I Need Silkypix?

You do not need Silkypix for video, in fact you can use most of the modern editing software from many companies. I tend to prefer to use Pro X4 for editing video files from Panasonic cameras. For still images, I have found that Raw files from my GF1 and GH3 are handled better in Silkypix than in Adobe.

Dennis Vogel June 14th, 2013 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info. May I ask, "handled better" in what way?

D

Tony Davies-Patrick June 15th, 2013 07:42 AM

Dennis, I mean that I'm able to adjust the Panasonic Raw files far quicker and easier in Silkypix so that each image fits my inner vision at the time of capture. In other words, it fits my workflow. The Silkypix layout and tools are very different from Adobe CS, but I like the way it lets you see the slow transformation of the image as you work on it, and also nice to view the possibilities during editing stages by simply hanging the mouse curser over each tool/bar heading.

For Canon DSLR raw files I prefer to use Zoom Browzer EX/Digital Photo Professional/Adobe Photoshop in my workflow.

I love the Adobe Photoshop editing software for adjusting still images, but have never liked the Adobe Premiere Pro software for video editing, because I find the mass of hidden stages and tools very irritating. A cheaper editing software that I have had a love/hate relation with for years is the the Corel VideoStudio Pro X3, X4, X5 and X6, but the positive aspect is that I find it very intuitive to work with. Together with the superb ProDAD Mercalli stabilization software it becomes a very powerful video editing tool.

I think that if you are already used to the Vegas & Elements workflow then it is probably wise to stick it, although in my case I would probably do initial Raw file adjustments in Silkypix 3.1 SE, save Development conversions to Tiff files, and then pull those Tiffs into Adobe (if extra adjustments were required).

Dennis Vogel June 17th, 2013 02:07 PM

Got it.

Thanks.

D

Bruce Foreman June 21st, 2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Vogel (Post 1800311)
Thanks for the info. May I ask, "handled better" in what way?

D

More "controls" (sliders) for many of the things you can adjust. Takes a bit of "getting used to" but once I did I found I like what I can do with SilkyPix better than Adobe Camera Raw.