DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH3 can't read own files? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/517434-gh3-cant-read-own-files.html)

Trent Davis June 28th, 2013 01:08 AM

GH3 can't read own files?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere and am not sure what to make of it.

I have two GH3 bodies. They both have the occasional problem of not being able to read their own files (images or videos), even ones they just recorded. I press playback, and they'd give me a black screen with an error to the effect of "can't playback image". Often the files recorded days ago show up with thumbs and can be played, but the most recent ones have a black thumb and can't be played.

The weird thing is, if I turn off the camera, eject the card, re-insert the card right away, and turn on the camera, I will be able to see and play everything just fine. Both bodies have the same problem, leading me to believe it may not be just two defective cameras.

What does this mean? Is it my card, but why does ejecting/inserting the card solve it? Does anyone else have the problem? The cards are fine when connected to the computer...

Bill Bruner June 30th, 2013 08:06 AM

Re: GH3 can't read own files?

This has happened to me a few times. I almost had a heart attack. At first I blamed the camera and seriously considered sending it back. Then I blamed my 128GB Kingston card and seriously considered reformatting it (with the loss of several irreplaceable files).

Then I realized that every time it happened, I had turned the camera on and tried to scroll through images before the camera had a chance to load the card.

Any computer will screw up your files if you try to access the drive while it is still loading.

Now I watch the little file loading icon on the screen carefully - and while it is loading the 100+ Gigs on my card, I wait a moment, say a little prayer, and only after the files are all loaded do I start scrolling.

So far, no more lockups or "lost" files :)

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Bruce Foreman June 30th, 2013 10:04 AM

Re: GH3 can't read own files?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent Davis (Post 1802284)
What does this mean? Is it my card, but why does ejecting/inserting the card solve it? Does anyone else have the problem? The cards are fine when connected to the computer...

My first inclination is to blame the cards. What brand are you using?

Many brands have problems keeping up with the camera despite claimed specs. With Class (6) and Class (10) cards in the Canon T2i and some Nikons Kingston had problems. The "bargain" brands were pretty much a disaster in waiting.

I use nothing but SanDisk EXTREME and EXTREME Pro in my cameras now (and you have to be careful where you get them as SanDisk is the most counterfeited media card on the market). I low level format them with SDFormatter in the computer when first purchased and every 3 to 5 uses thereafter. After the low level format I put the card in THE CAMERA IT WILL BE USED IN then format it in the camera so the camera can install the folder structure it will use.

I've never seen your problem.