DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH3: questions about the displays (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/517479-gh3-questions-about-displays.html)

Bill Edmunds June 30th, 2013 08:39 PM

GH3: questions about the displays

A couple of questions about the GH3 touchscreen and viewfinder:
1) Is there a way to get the information on the touchscreen to stop disappearing? Its driving me nuts that the info (audio levels, et al) keeps going away after a few seconds.
2) Is there a way to improve the very soft image in the viewfinder? The GH2's viewfinder seems so much easier to use for focusing purposes than that of the GH3.

Bill Bruner July 1st, 2013 06:29 AM

Re: GH3: questions about the displays

Bill, these may not be the definitive answers, but here is what I've found:

1) I half press the shutter button to bring the display back, but it's not something I want to do in the middle of a shot. This is something that Panasonic must fix

2) I adjusted the diopter wheel, and now the EVF is perfectly sharp for my eye. Interestingly, I didn't have to do that for my GH1 or GH2.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Bruce Foreman July 1st, 2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds (Post 1802599)
A couple of questions about the GH3 touchscreen and viewfinder:
1) Is there a way to get the information on the touchscreen to stop disappearing? Its driving me nuts that the info (audio levels, et al) keeps going away after a few seconds.

If tripod mounted block the eye sensor briefly with your hand, the display will return.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds (Post 1802599)
2) Is there a way to improve the very soft image in the viewfinder? The GH2's viewfinder seems so much easier to use for focusing purposes than that of the GH3.

They made it smaller on the GH3 and it is more problematic for some eyeglass wearers (I am one of them). I suspect they did not fully evaluate the effect of some eyeglass prescriptions. Two workarounds I've used are to adjust the diopter for my eye without eyeglasses and the use of a Hoodman Loupe 3.0 with the 3x magnifying eyepiece. A Manfrotto 501PL "mounting plate" on the bottom of the GH3 holds the Hoodman up firmly against the bottom of the eyepiece with the LCD folded in screen side out.

It's an easy, light "jam" fit. The Hoodman loupe also can use a neoprene and velcro "strap" that holds it to a foldout LCD on many cameras, and this looks to be useful with the GH3 LCD when used not folded flush against the camera body.

Bill Edmunds July 1st, 2013 11:17 AM

Are there any hacks for the GH3 that address the disappearing info display? Seems like it should be an easy fix...

Ron Fabienke July 1st, 2013 01:38 PM

Problem is they were concerned about "burn in" on the OLED panels. So maybe that's not something that should be overridden. I don't know. I do the same pain in the butt thing with swiping hand across the sensor on the EVF if on a tripod or half press of shutter if using the EVF. Definitely PITA.

John De Rienzo July 11th, 2013 03:04 PM

To me this is a major problem when filming and really needs to be fixed in a firmware update. Not only does the display disappear, but if you stop recording and do not hit record again within a few seconds you would have to hit record once to bring the display back and then hit record again to start recording!

This is a real deal breaker and needs to be addressed ( Are you listening Panasonic?). In our fast moving event filming the last thing we need is to realise that pressing the record button did not in fact start the recording but just brought the display back.

I am surprised no one else has these concerns on this forum...it's a major flaw or am I missing something?

The Sony VG900 has an oled viewfinder but I don't see the display disappearing there...

Corey Graham July 15th, 2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John De Rienzo (Post 1804327)
To me this is a major problem when filming and really needs to be fixed in a firmware update. Not only does the display disappear, but if you stop recording and do not hit record again within a few seconds you would have to hit record once to bring the display back and then hit record again to start recording!

This is my only gripe about the GH3. I've been shooting on it for several months now, and have lost LOTS of shots because I thought I was recording, but in fact was not.

This is a huge issue, and I really hope Panasonic addresses it soon. I can't justify buying another GH3 until this is fixed.

Willard Hill July 15th, 2013 08:37 PM

I have no answers to the problems being discussed, but agree that the disappearing information needs to be fixed in a firmware update. No excuse for something like that.

They probably can't change the sharpness of the viewfinder without redesigning the camera, but I think it is a serious problem too. I could do a decent job of following focus on rapidly moving objects in manual focus mode with the GH2, but this is not the case with the GH3. To be certain of sharp focus, I must use the LCD and magnify the image to be sure of a sharp image--either that or depend on auto-focus, which does seem to work reasonably well in a lot of cases and not so good in others.

Alex Anderson July 31st, 2013 10:16 PM

yikes, and I was hot on just buying this camera today. I wanted to research more first and I am glad I found this thread. Hey Panasonic, you're losing another sale here with me. If it was my company, I would say something about it now so people who are thinking about buying a GH3 will know you care and what is being done about it. " we are fixing it now and an update will be out in a few weeks". Or even a few months and I could live with that. Damn. it's always something. Back to picking a Canon. :-(

Chris Duczynski July 31st, 2013 10:37 PM

I don't see it as a deal breaker - don't forget the good stuff this camera does for under $1300 - wouldn't be spending an extra $3000 for the 5D Mk III. Yes it's a pain, but the timer still tells you you're rolling. But agree it is a BIG disappointment.

Ronald Jackson July 31st, 2013 10:53 PM

Does this problem occur when using an external HDMI monitor? I'm about to purchase a GH3, use as back up to my EX3. Even though the EX3 viewfinder is okay I prefer to use a field monitor for focus and composition. Would do the same, most of the time, with a GH3.

Ron

Noa Put August 1st, 2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Duczynski (Post 1806855)
Yes it's a pain, but the timer still tells you you're rolling. But agree it is a BIG disappointment.

I"m about to buy a gh3 and even-though this would not influence my decision in buying it, it is good to know. If the camera is recording, is there no red recording dot or the letters "rec" visible in the viewfinder or lcd screen? Or is the timer the only thing indicating it is recording?

Corey Graham August 1st, 2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1806865)
If the camera is recording, is there no red recording dot or the letters "rec" visible in the viewfinder or lcd screen? Or is the timer the only thing indicating it is recording?

Yes, there is a blinking red dot in the corner of the screen while you're recording.

Noa Put August 1st, 2013 06:29 AM

I have read somewhere that magic lantern on the Canon gives a big red cross across the screen when you are not recording, wish I had such an option with my camera's, it's not the first time I think I"m recording to see the "standby" text on top of my viewfinder. :) Pressing 2 times to record is not such a big deal I think, should become second nature quickly to look at the recording indicator every-time you are shooting. I always check after a few seconds after I"m recording and then it can happen that it's still in stdby mode but at least I see it quickly.