Lumix g6 experiences - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 7th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Lumix g6 experiences

I"m a bit in a dilemma what to do, the g6 seems like a good investment considering it's price but I don't like the 2.0 cropfactor and the fact that the low light performance is not better then my 550d. I"m not able to find another lens wider then a 14mm with a min. f-stop of 2.8 (at a reasonable price) that has a iris ring like the samyangs do (what I absolutely want)

Second camera on my scope is the nikon d5200, there is a cashback running right now which makes the body cheaper then the g6. Biggest issue I have with that camera is that I cannot use my existing samyang lenzes but I could get another 14mm lens from samyang with a nikon mount and with the 1.5 cropfactor it's perfect for my steadicam use which would be the main reason for the camera. The d5200 also seems a very good low light performer if I see the several comparison videos so far and that was on top of my list of "needs" anyway.

Might go with the Nikon, or should I get the panasonic :D Pff, to tired right now to think.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
That's a tough decisions, better low light performance was on the top of my list of "needs" and while I see now I could safely use 3200 iso the g6 would perform the same at 3200 what my Canon 550d does at 1600 iso now which I use a lot at our dark receptions, I only use 3200 iso with my 550d if I have no other choice and that's at more then 50% of the weddings I do specifically when the first dance and the dancing after that starts.
With low light on the top of your list of needs, the GH3 would be a better choice by far. I am able to use ISO 6400 with no objectionable noise, what little I may get probably looks like what your seeing on Pete's G6 ISO 3200 footage. It does cost more but there's no way I'd settle for anything less at this point.

If you want to use your Canon lenses on it the simplest adapters will give you no aperture control, unless you use a Canon body to set the aperture using the "unlock & twist" method, the lens remains wide open. Some more expensive adapters do allow some degree of aperture control.

But for starters I'd hunt up a gently used 14-42 or 14-45 (sold with the GH1) and a Lumix 20mm f1.7 (wide normal) for initial use with it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thx Bruce for the tip, I"ll have to add up the numbers to see what is possible budgetwise, it's easy to have a dream camera, as long as I can afford it :)

About loosing aperture controll is no issue for me, I always set everything manually on the lens which I prefer with my 550d anyway. That's why I like the samyang lenzes so much.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series