gh3 low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Major Player

gh3 low light

as i just mentioned in my previous thread about possibly getting a gh3 for video recording 1080p30 or p24, my biggest question is how good would this camera be at shooting video in very low light with fast lenses that fit this camera? I am talking like interviews and some b-roll in some home at night time with an available table lamp. Not the typical city night time shots with all the streetlights and store windows all lit up. Like a quick interview in a bar or hotel lobby with no lights and, again, using a fast lens. I think I saw a 2omm f1.7 for this cam which gets me up to around a 40mm full scale lens if there is a 2x crop with this cam. good for what I need to start. or, I also like this Panasonic H-HS12035 LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH X Series Lens

alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: gh3 low light

IMO, the GH3 rocks in low light. I use it with the f/1.7 20mm pancake lens at dark wedding receptions, and the results I get are amazing.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanx Corey. I just started looking again at maybe getting the GH3 after trying a couple of Canon's the last couple of weeks. I like how the GH3 uses OLED's, has a headphone jack and shoots continuously. And the lenses seem to be lower cost than most the Canon lenses I wanted but I cannot afford. I need to wrap my head into this micro four thirds stuff. The sensor is a bit smaller in size which makes me wonder about low light and good DOF. Can you still get that good DOF like the larger sensors on Canon's with the nice soft out of focus backgrounds? And , are the audio controls easy to use with no AGC?

alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
New Boot

I have used the H-HS12035 LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 lens extensively for documentary work and it performs well in low light. Not like a full frame Canon for either light or DOF with similar lens but very nice. I don't like to push past about 800 ISO but up to there I find noise levels quite acceptable.

Unfortunately you can't bypass the AGC without and external work around (Beachtek or Juiced Link) I use a Tascam DR60D and Premiere Pro CC to record and manage second source audio and am very happy with the results.
Michael Delagarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Michael,

Thank you. Good info. This is the first I heard about the AGC. I did not know it had that problem. My Canon EOS-M has selectable Auto or Manual.

Alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series