DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   gh3 audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/518072-gh3-audio.html)

Alex Anderson August 1st, 2013 02:17 PM

gh3 audio

can anyone that has a gh3 help me understand this camera's audio features? It is one of the main reasons I am interested in buying this camera for video HD work. I assume it has a 3.5mm stereo mic jack and another 3.5mm jack for headphones. Can I record two mics to different L/R channels with a splitter cord I have just for that purpose? Can I see the audio levels on the flip out OLED display? Do the vu meter levels stay onscreen all the time if desired? Same for level controls. Can I adjust levels easily during setup and recording? Can I adjust them separately for left and right? Is there a headphone level control that easy to use or are all of these controls buried in menus?

The VU levels, adjustment controls and staying onscreen are the most important to me.Doing a very important interview and having these features can make a big difference instead of seeing in post it got out of control.

alex

William Hohauser August 1st, 2013 02:53 PM

Re: gh3 audio

The audio is OK not great. Yes you can send two mikes in but you have limited control. If you really want pro audio you would have to get a Zoom recorder at the very least, record the mikes there and link the audio in edit. The camera is great for images but audio recording is mostly serviceable.

Chris Duczynski August 1st, 2013 04:59 PM

As you have probably read elsewhere the whole display disappears after 10 seconds which is a giant pain, especially for monitoring audio. I use a beachtek because I have more controls and XLR in - I think the GH3 audio set-up is very average and very fiddly to adjust.

Noa Put August 1st, 2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

As you have probably read elsewhere the whole display disappears after 10 seconds which is a giant pain
Do you mean the live view on the lcd screen turns itself off after 10 seconds?

Alex Anderson August 1st, 2013 06:10 PM

thanx for the feedback. at least it has a headphone jack unlike most dslr cameras. can anyone confirm the audio headphone jack stops working when you record and have the oled display open? Chris, I did read that before. I just try twice to see if different answers pop up on certain issues.

alex

Alex Anderson August 1st, 2013 06:11 PM

sorry for the double post. it seemed to me it was not posting, so i hit the send again.

alex

Chris Duczynski August 1st, 2013 07:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the headphone jack lets you stay on whether you're recording or not.
For the on/off display someone suggested just waving your hand in front of the eye sensor and the display comes back - which works really well. Although it's not the desired way for monitoring what you're recording, it is a simple workaround that I use all the time - and I shoot most days. There is also a small timer on the left in the LCD that lets you know how long you've been recording, but that's it !!.
Having said that, it's a great camera for the money, but as always it can be improved on. The quality of the image in the LCD is probably the other disappointment.

Bruce Foreman August 1st, 2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1806979)
Do you mean the live view on the lcd screen turns itself off after 10 seconds?

Absolutely NOT!

Only the settings data display and vu meters disappear after 10 seconds. Those come right back if you block the eye sensor briefly with a hand.

You can look at this as a benefit, if you are trying to pay attention to the visual image onscreen the settings data "clearing" removes potential distractions so you can concentrate on composition, expression and tracking.

Alex Anderson August 1st, 2013 10:27 PM

I would not mind having that happen for a clearer view. But I would like the audio meters to stay on, especially during an interview.

alex

Alex Anderson August 1st, 2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Duczynski (Post 1806987)
I'm pretty sure the headphone jack lets you stay on whether you're recording or not.
For the on/off display someone suggested just waving your hand in front of the eye sensor and the display comes back - which works really well. Although it's not the desired way for monitoring what you're recording, it is a simple workaround that I use all the time - and I shoot most days. There is also a small timer on the left in the LCD that lets you know how long you've been recording, but that's it !!.
Having said that, it's a great camera for the money, but as always it can be improved on. The quality of the image in the LCD is probably the other disappointment.

Chris, I appreciate your feedback on this cam. I can overlook some of its issues keeping in mind its low cost, quality and some features other cameras lack.

What is wrong with the quality on the flip out OLED display?

alex

Noa Put August 1st, 2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1806999)
You can look at this as a benefit

I could live with that but I"d prefer if I could remove data with a press of a button instead of the camera doing this for me, in general I always want to see what the camera settings are. But again, good to know.

Chris Duczynski August 2nd, 2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Anderson (Post 1807004)
Chris, I appreciate your feedback on this cam. I can overlook some of its issues keeping in mind its low cost, quality and some features other cameras lack.

What is wrong with the quality on the flip out OLED display?

alex

It's just a very low resolution display - even compared with other DSLR's it's very average. Daylight in particular is difficult to manage.

William Hohauser August 2nd, 2013 11:41 AM

I also find the LCD display too small for focus adjustments but after I put on a viewfinder loupe with a magnifier eyepiece, the display is quite sharp. Good enough for live focusing. And yes it's very hard to use in direct sun but most LCD displays are like that. A GH3 is a very good deal but you may find yourself spending a bit more to get it working great.

Alan Halfhill August 19th, 2013 11:18 PM

I have had my GH3 since December and I can say that the audio I am getting from the GH3 is a s good as any camcorder I have owned. With a JuicedLink pre amp, it sounds as good if not better than a Zoom recorder. Here is a report I did back when I got the camera.

An Early Present, The GH3: It Sounds Real Good » FrugalFilmmakers.com

Bruce Reynolds September 13th, 2013 02:02 PM

Re: gh3 audio also a nice gage for $100

Audio is fine, I split wireless and Rode mikes thru Azden mixer that I had forever, sounds the same as all the Sony cameras I've had thru the years, works fine on the GH2 also.
The screen display shuts off Panasonic says to keep from burning the information onto the OLED. If you touch the screen it comes back on or just touch the focus button.
There is a Cage built just for the GH3, now it's $99, I paid $150. I don't know if we are allowed to put links on this forum so if you go to the Panasonic GH3 Facebook page you will see it.