Power OIS vs Canon IS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Power OIS vs Canon IS

How does the two manufactures of image stabilization lenses compare? I was looking at the Panasonic H-HS12035 LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH X Series Lens for using on a GH3 to shoot HD video.

Alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Power OIS vs Canon IS

There must be somebody out there that has a Poiwer IOS lens that can at least comment on the performance of the stabilization shooting video handheld.

Alex
Old August 10th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Alex - I have shot video with Canon IS lenses and with the Panasonic 12-35mm and 14-140mm Power OIS lenses, and, to be honest, none of them are great for handheld work without a rig, tripod, monopod or stabilizer.

Cameras with in-body stabilization like the Olympus OM-D record much smoother handheld video - but they don't have the GH3's other advantages for video.

If you're a handheld shooter, I would get the GH3 plus an inexpensive rig like the $260 Photography & Cinema Prime shoulder rig plus a $24 pistol grip with a trigger.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bill,
I appreciate your info. I was not aware of the the lens IS not being that good. I guess it's more more tele shooting for stills, like sports, to avoid blur.

I am not a hand held shooter. I have always been a tripod shooter but I move around fast to get my shots so I use a light weight carbon fiber setup. I ask because I am curious after seeing how good that Olympus did handheld looking our a rear window of a moving bus. It's too bad the Olympus cannot have the quality of the GH3. I almost pulled the trigger today for a new GH3 and a 17mm f.95 lens. To be honest, I now wonder if I should get a BMCC because the cost of the GH3 setup is over $2k and the BMCC now costs $2000. I like how it has 13 stops latitude, balanced audio phantom mic inputs and records RAW to SSD's and Apple ProRes. And, a thunderbolt output which I can use on a MSI motherboard I have sitting here.

Time for Panny to drop the GH3 prices, I reckon. :-)

Alex
I see you are also in the DC area like me.
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Alex - $1995 is a great price for the BMCC, but, sadly, that's with no lenses, no viewfinder, no SSDs for data storage and an almost mandatory external battery.

By the time you add even the most basic cine lens, an inexpensive viewfinder, a 120GB Kingston SSD and a useful battery, it will cost significantly more than the GH3 and $1150 Nokton you were ready to buy.

Memory costs alone for the BMCC are daunting. The 120GB Kingston SSD costs $150 and will record only about 15 minutes of RAW or a little over an hour of ProRes. The $98 128GB Kingston SDXC card in my GH3, on the other hand, gives me between 4 and 5 hours of recording time at 50mbps.

As I mentioned over on the other thread, I did pre-order a $995 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera as a "B" camera for my GH3 because, like you, I wanted Blackmagic's 13 stops of DR and ProRes (and eventually RAW) - and because it uses the same lenses as the GH3. That said, I'm not really into manual focus, so I'm not interested in buying the BMCC MFT. I'll rent one if I need 2.5K :)

I sold my house in DC and moved back to California - but business does bring me back to DC every once in a while. I guess I need to change my dvinfo profile :)

Best,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by Bill Bruner; August 11th, 2013 at 08:03 AM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Bill, I had no idea those things existed! I was actually about to post a question as to what would be the best stabilization method for filming events with the GH3. So far most of my work was done handheld, and while that gives me mobility and control over focus (one hand is permanently on the focus ring), the footage is shaky and borderline unusable (from a professional point of view). While warp stabilizer would make it OK, I think you agree that stabilizing an entire wedding is not an option.

My thoughts are as follows:
1. Get a really wide lens (either the 12mm Olympus f/2 or 14mm Panasonic f/2.5) which *should* make handheld shooting appear less shaky (I use a 25mm lens currently).

2. Get a steadycam (Wondlan Ares) and then I know I can even run and all is well. HOWEVER, since I won't be able to touch the camera anymore, I will have no control over focus. For daytime shots I can maybe get away with shooting at f/8 or so, but at receptions and churches I usually have to be somewhere around f/2, which, combined with no control over focus, will most likely result in disaster.

3. Get the type of shoulder rig you linked, which would give me focus control and a bit of mobility, albeit nothing near what a steadycam would offer me.

Bottom line, pros and cons for each. You see why I'm conflicted? :)
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Spencer View Post
Bill, I had no idea those things existed! I was actually about to post a question as to what would be the best stabilization method for filming events with the GH3. So far most of my work was done handheld, and while that gives me mobility and control over focus (one hand is permanently on the focus ring), the footage is shaky and borderline unusable (from a professional point of view). While warp stabilizer would make it OK, I think you agree that stabilizing an entire wedding is not an option.

My thoughts are as follows:
1. Get a really wide lens (either the 12mm Olympus f/2 or 14mm Panasonic f/2.5) which *should* make handheld shooting appear less shaky (I use a 25mm lens currently).

2. Get a steadycam (Wondlan Ares) and then I know I can even run and all is well. HOWEVER, since I won't be able to touch the camera anymore, I will have no control over focus. For daytime shots I can maybe get away with shooting at f/8 or so, but at receptions and churches I usually have to be somewhere around f/2, which, combined with no control over focus, will most likely result in disaster.

3. Get the type of shoulder rig you linked, which would give me focus control and a bit of mobility, albeit nothing near what a steadycam would offer me.

Bottom line, pros and cons for each. You see why I'm conflicted? :)
4. Use a monopod. This is the single cheapest, simplest & best option for stable run & gun footage.

I use a Glidecam 2000 a lot with my a Canon 5D but only when I want to keep the camera in motion.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Major Player

I do use a monopod and a decent Manfrotto too, but it doesn't really do much in the way of stabilizing if you move with it...
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series