Panasonic lumix g6, wow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 18th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Trustee

Panasonic lumix g6, wow

Just got the lumix g6 for holidays and personal use from my weddings and my work horses hfg10s and 60ds, little bit of a play around in Ireland, in the bar iso 3200 grain free to me?? horses 160 iso standard profile all to the o...Wow, this little dslr is amazing...All footage 50p setting, kit lens 14-42 and the 45-150mm kit lens, no colour grading ect straight from the cam//
00074 - YouTube
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic lumix g6, wow

I got the g6 on order to complement the gh3 I just got, I had my 550d to compare and the gh3 is a much better camera image quality wise, the g6 appeares to perform about the same as the gh3 so I"m exited to put both to work next weddings. The gh3 can go up to 6400 iso and gives me usable images without the real need for neatvideo treatment
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Trustee

Hey Noa, yep indeed this little beauty is brilliant. The feel of a light weight camera and the ease of use is excellent. Even the focus system is brilliant. Just point n and shoot the exposure focus pretty much takes care of its self, the 60d so hard to keep focus and maintain...It may well be I try for my weddings, but feel the cam don't look professional enough so will keep to my hfg10s and 60ds canon...
Wedding Video Liverpool Photography Liverpool Capture Your Moments Wedding
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
...the 60d so hard to keep focus and maintain...It may well be I try for my weddings, but feel the cam don't look professional enough so will keep to my hfg10s and 60ds canon
Steve - congrats on the G6! Fantastic little camera. Seriously, though, you are going to continue to use your 60D and increase the risk of an out-of-focus shot on a paid job because of the way the camera looks? You're kidding, right? :)

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #5
Trustee

Just kidding Bill yes hahaha
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Trustee

Steve, those videos look great "kit" lens and all. I've read that "kit" lens is an improvement over what has been included with the previous G series.

As far as it not looking "professional", the mere attachment of a "proper" lens hood for the lens in use, and the use of even an inexpensive shoulder brace like the SpiderBrace or the Gini rig will take it out of the realm of similarity to "Uncle Joe"s camera.

I sold off a 7D, T3i...AND a 60D once I started trying the GH2.

The Canon's were very good, giving me both good stills and video. But the GH2 was just a tad sharper. Autofocus has matured some in the G6 and GH3.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey Bruce... How are you? The g6 is growing on me day by day, I am trying all options these kit lens are great, low light im looking for the 45mm 1,8 and the 20mm 1.7. I have my monopods and the shoulder rig already. Just the viewfinder would be awkward maybe? having said that its ok for now..Is there a cheapo cowboy one that fits on the lcd screen at the back? Pity my 60d zacuto does not fit??? steve
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Not sure I'd like to use a loop on my G6. I have found the focus assist zoom to be incredible to hitting focus. It doesn't work while recording as far as I know which is a shame. I tried to hold my lcdvf over the G6 screen and just couldn't see an advantage of it or focus peaking over the focus assist. Focus assist just works that well.

My T3i and host of L lenses have taken a seat on the pine. Even for stills the G6 can be pretty amazing if you have enough light.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #9
Trustee

Cheers Pete!!! That's what I was really trying to say, you cannot use the focus assist, you have to stop recording to check or change but like I am finding the tracking system works good so the focus takes care of itself and then you can half press the shutter button and it recfocuses quickly if you are not sure its focused on your subject. The little part of the horses as they go in the warm up cage stays in focus the whole time so that's the advantage over the canons...
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Steve! I'm so jealous right now it's hard to describe in words! How come your videos look so smooth? They're not jittery at all, but at the same time it looks like a handheld shot . Is the image stabilizer inside the kit lens responsible for this beautiful video? I get really shaky handheld video with my 25mm lens on the GH3 (no O.I.S.).

PS: I just ordered the 14mm f/2.5 Panasonic lens, which is a great example of another lens without O.I.S., if you tell me your 14-42mm can produce such smooth video I'm putting that one in the cart as well. I'm sorry, I love to be able to take handheld shots, and your videos just look awesome to me. I'm more than willing to pay the $165 for that lens.
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Major Player

Anyone who doubts what the little sub-$1000 Panasonic G6 can do should look at this wedding video from Vimeo Plus member Jon Wide. I'll simply repeat the word in the title of this thread - wow.

Of course, most of this is Jon's skill as a videographer and editor, but I see a rock solid codec, no compression artifacts and sharp focus with manual lenses enabled by peaking. Very nice.

Maybe I should have gotten a G6 instead of sitting here by the door waiting for my $995 Pocket Cinema Camera to arrive :)

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by Bill Bruner; August 20th, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Beautiful.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Major Player

First 'real' shoot with the G6 yesterday and I'm really wishing it had some additional functionality (firmware hack please?). During recording (AFAIK), you can't adjust the ISO, check focus (with manual lenses), adjust WB, audio gain or peaking. Please tell me if this is just an operator error. I'm mostly shooting on the 'video camera' dial mode, and prefer to use my all-manual lenses. I understand that there will always be compromises, especially on a cheap consumer camera. Speaking of which, is it possible to use external power with this camera? I only got about 40 minutes on my battery yesterday (LCD had to stay on throughout the shoot).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Major Player

I just tried doing what you said on the GH3.

1. I could adjust ISO while recording.

2. I couldn't adjust WB.

3. "Checking focus" - I'm not sure what you mean.

4. I could adjust audio gain. There is a shortcut on the touchscreen in the form of a little microphone icon, you tap that after which you can go from input level 1 all the way to 15.

5. When you say peaking do you mean audio clipping? If so, the camera shows you the audio levels on the screen, there are several white bars after which you get 2 sets of red bars. As far as I know, if the audio level reaches the first set of red bars, you're fine, if it goes all the way to the second set, it's too loud.

However, that being said, I've found that the camera adjusts the audio level according to what it thinks it should be, pretty much regardless of the input level you set for it. The input level you suggest only slightly influences the actual audio level. You can think of the audio levels as being more or less automatic. The manual adjustment matters more if you have a silent environment. If things are loud, it will not let the audio get distorted even if you chose a reallly high input volume. Again, I have limited experience with it, but that's the feeling I got after filming a few events.
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Spencer View Post
Steve! I'm so jealous right now it's hard to describe in words! How come your videos look so smooth? They're not jittery at all, but at the same time it looks like a handheld shot . Is the image stabilizer inside the kit lens responsible for this beautiful video? I get really shaky handheld video with my 25mm lens on the GH3 (no O.I.S.).

PS: I just ordered the 14mm f/2.5 Panasonic lens, which is a great example of another lens without O.I.S., if you tell me your 14-42mm can produce such smooth video I'm putting that one in the cart as well. I'm sorry, I love to be able to take handheld shots, and your videos just look awesome to me. I'm more than willing to pay the $165 for that lens.
Luc, spot on!! Let me tell you I was surprised, the camera just to my eye tight to the view finder arms tucked in but not really tight in. The kit lens 14-42 and the 45-150 both have ois and also the stabilizer in the camera on. This camera is freaking amazing...Standard profile, natural, vivid they are all brilliant, my buddy Bruce Foreman on the hv 20 forum and on here pretty much sold me to the cam. I may just may sell my canons and get the gh3s if they produce the same results as this little cam, god knows what I could do... Its as if I am watching some kind of 3d image when I watch. If you look when I pan to the right as the horse goes past, it looks as if its 3d or like the horse edges sticks out sharp...The only thing I am unsure about is when I need low light, my canon 60ds 50mm 1.4 and sigma 1.4 are both brilliant but im unsure about the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 and Olympus 45mm 1.8 for stability, I am getting used to the results of these kit lens. I wish they would make a low light lens like these with ois on.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series