GH3 time-lapse sunset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #1
New Boot

GH3 time-lapse sunset

I am a new GH3 user moving from the T2i. I love my T2i with the magic lantern hack. The features added w/ magic lantern made the camera so much more useful to me, adding to its creative potential as well as its usability.

I am just getting started with the GH3 but so far I am very happy. I know it is not the "perfect" camera, but I think it might be the right camera for me now. Even though my background is more in video than in stills I have grown to love having the option and ability to shoot both at a high quality with a single camera. This kept me from moving towards more of a traditional video camera like the newer Sony and Canon offerings. Not to mention the images created by the GH3 look wonderful to me.

Here is a short sunset time-lapse I shot a few weeks ago here on Maui. More to come.

Gabe Hoeffken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GH3 time-lapse sunset

Great colours- went very fast though, would personally like to see them drawn out a bit more.

What settings do you use for these? I've been playing around with them myself, haven't had a chance in a couple of months but looking forward to getting some during autumn.

Sunset in Kilbannon on Vimeo

This was when I just got the camera, so it was a case of setting the photo intervals and putting on auto. Be interested to hear of any tips people may have.
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Gabe, Hello from Canada...still warm here..Nice Video! Hawaii sure looks good!
I have a T3i and I have enjoyed it a lot but I'm considering a better DSLR/video hybrid...
I was thinking of the 70D for the continuous autofocus but without a headphone jack, same recording rates mostly as my T3i I don't see the point.. My fellow videographers who use the GH3 tell me this is a better (but more expensive if I go with the f.2.8 lens) camera that does a lot..
how do you like yours compared to the T2i you had before..?How is the autofocus? I need that sometimes for events (not for sit down interviews etc). I've seen videos showing the 70D continuous AF and it looks good.
Also, how much better is the picture quality of the GH3? I know the bokeh is not as blurred as with Canon DSLRs but can you tell me if you really get the shallow (but not ultra shallow!) DOF? For deep DOF I have the canon XF100 and XF300!! I just need a DSLR type camera that can give me a filmic look when clients want that....
thanks for your help!
E
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
how much better is the picture quality of the GH3?
I have used a t2i for a few years and just got a gh3, image wise it outputs a much better image, much sharper, much less moire and aliasing and for some reason, even in the avchd codec, instead of that 50mbs ipb codec, I"m able to pull way nicer looking colour and gradients that I ever could with my t2i, this is what I made during my holiday, I just had the camera. There is still a lot to discover about this camera, I barely found out it has a rec button :)

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Noa that is beautiful in all respects. A great tribute to your Dad.

Did you use a anamorphic lens? I like the 2.35/1.

Thank you

kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Hoeffken View Post
Here is a short sunset time-lapse I shot a few weeks ago here on Maui.
Is that a sequence of photo's or actual video that has been speed up?
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent S. Jakusz View Post
Did you use a anamorphic lens? I like the 2.35/1.
It's actually just some black bars I added on top and bottom, it covers 10% on each side of the screen, not sure what aspect ratio it then is. I like to add this as it gives you the feel of a bit more cinematic look, there is also a few g6 footage in there but that camera was less sharp in 50p, I shot all this with the whitebalance in auto with some minor post adjustments, the colour straight of this camera is just great, it has some "black magic" touch to it but without the workflow hassle :)

With all the negativity the past months in my direct family I wanted to end the year with something beautiful and even-though the gh3 is just a piece of hardware and another tool in my box I"m very happy with the quality the camera is capable of, it makes me feel good when I look at the video :)
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #8
New Boot

Erick, so far I really like the GH3, it has a smaller sensor than the T2i / T3i thus a deeper depth of field. But I actually like this and consider it a feature. It is easy enough to shoot wide open with a zoom to get shallow depth of field when I want it. The images it produces feel sharper and more crisp while still retaining the filmic look you get when shooting with a DSLR. The auto focus seems to work well, but I haven't tested it thoroughly yet.

Noa, nice video. It is a sequence of photos shot RAW and edited in Light Room then assembled in Vegas. I have a few more shot but haven't had time to put them together.
Gabe Hoeffken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
it has a smaller sensor than the T2i / T3i thus a deeper depth of field. But I actually like this and consider it a feature.
Same here, I don't understand why some would pick a 5dIII just to be able to get razor thin shallow dof and big twinkling stars from lights in the background in each shot. If I can push the background slightly out of focus it will still put focus on the subject I have sharp in picture, but at least you can still somewhat see what's going on in the background, it should make focussing less trickier as well in run and gun. But with a f1.4 lens you still can get a very shallow dof if you want on the gh3.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series