DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   G6 Continuous Record Shutdown in Warm Weather (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/518633-g6-continuous-record-shutdown-warm-weather.html)

Kris Kohuth August 31st, 2013 10:00 AM

G6 Continuous Record Shutdown in Warm Weather

I've experienced unexpected shutdowns of my G6 during extended warm-weather recording. I’m trying to determine if this was simply a bad unit (it’s since been returned,) or if maybe what I need is a GH3 with its “advanced thermal management.”

In both cases the G6 was locked on a tripod and placed outside: not in direct sunlight, but with an ambient temperature hovering between 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit. (The camera was powered by AC mains.) In one instance the camera quit 45 minutes into a 5-hour (64GB) card, and in another after only 20 minutes. These were on different days, in different setups.

I later tested the camera’s extended-run capabilities in an air-conditioned environment, and successfully recorded 5 continuous hours, without a hitch and over multiple trials.

So, were those extra 15-degrees to blame? I've since noticed those nifty infrared images of the GH3’s heat-dissipating magnesium body "designed for extreme environments.” No such statements are made about the G6, so maybe I was foolishly expecting too much.

Anyone else encounter this? I've not read similar reports elsewhere.

Would a GH3 do the trick, or would I again be expecting too much?

Oren Arieli August 31st, 2013 11:30 AM

Re: G6 Continuous Record Shutdown in Warm Weather

I haven't gotten to test out that issue just yet, but I'm also intrigued (and hoping it's just a one-off defect). I used to have this issue with a full-size (shoulder-mount) ENG camera and the only fix for outdoor shooting was to cover the camera with a white handkerchief. This reflected enough sun (and still allowed for convective cooling). I hope I don't have to resort to that with the G6

William Hohauser August 31st, 2013 01:05 PM

The camera will generate heat as it does some very difficult processing to compress the video stream. The compact design may not allow for heat build up to dissipate in warm situations especially if you are not giving the camera a break. Probably if you were starting and stopping in the same situation, the camera would be fine. You might experiment with a mini fan blowing air over the camera as it films. I had a compact flash video recorder that needed this if the ambient temperature went above 80 degrees.

Ron Fabienke September 2nd, 2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 1810750)
I haven't gotten to test out that issue just yet, but I'm also intrigued (and hoping it's just a one-off defect). I used to have this issue with a full-size (shoulder-mount) ENG camera and the only fix for outdoor shooting was to cover the camera with a white handkerchief. This reflected enough sun (and still allowed for convective cooling). I hope I don't have to resort to that with the G6

Oh man that took me back. Me too with my first 3 chip camera, a Sony DXC 325. I would be out in the sun and was shooting interlace back then with standard definition, and all of a sudden after half hour or so the interlace would go all wonky and couldn't fix itself until it cooled down. Thank gawd never since with any of my other 3 chip large format cameras or camcorders.

The top row, 3rd from the left pic takes me back too, can see the fat "umbilical" cable headed toward what would have been my on the shoulder separate Panny S-VHS recorder. Did not get into dockable or camcorder style until JVC and Sony equipment following that rig.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sony...=2554&bih=1324

My NEX 5N will weenie out with heat from video shooting after about 15 minutes, even with LCD pulled out. Don't know about A77 as I only love it for its fab stills, not video. My Panny GH3 rocks every which way but loose and doesn't do that.

Leon Kolenda September 11th, 2013 09:23 AM

I had a Sony Nex-7 that overheated all the time, even just shut down with out warning, did not matter, 2 minutes, 5, 10. I really liked the Nex7, but had to sell it. I kept the lens's and got a VG-20, pretty nice, but, Not as nice as my Panny GH3, I'm loving this camera, and all the lens' for it, the MFT'ds format is getting very well excepted. I might sell the VG-20 and get a BMD pocket camera, once I see some more reviews and sample video. No issues with the GH3 in overheating, I live in South Carolina, no problems outside in direct sunlight, 90+ degrees.

Bruce Reynolds September 13th, 2013 01:47 PM

Tested the GH3 when I got it months ago to see how long it would record with the battery. I live in Florida and it was in the 80's. It recorded for 4 hours non stop outside in the sun, then the card filled up but still had 1 bar left on the battery meter. It never shut off. Same with my GH2 with battery box it records over 3 hours non stop

Kris Kohuth September 20th, 2013 12:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.

In retrospect, I should have opted for the GH3 (5+ hour continuous run, North Carolina heat, etc.) I could probably live without peaking...the G6 version of which I found to be pretty lame...but that price (with lens) is another matter.

And Ron: the worst job I ever had was working at the other end of that fat umbilical, riding audio on what in my case was a Betacam SP field recorder. The camera guy wouldn't even look at me; he'd just slap that connector over his shoulder and wait for his light to come on.

Phil Goetz September 20th, 2013 03:32 PM

That stinks. It's always been my impression that Panasonic was addressing the heat issues in a more direct way than other manufacturers.

Paul Mailath September 22nd, 2013 12:24 AM

I have a mini umbrella (about 6" across) specially made for a camera - got it from B&H - can't find the link though - I don't expect my camera to operate flawlessly in full sun on a hot day if I leave it unattended and running for an extended period.

Bill Bruner September 23rd, 2013 04:00 AM

Sadly, the Omega Probrella is out of stock at both Amazon and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/457503-REG/Omega_POP200_Probrella_Portable_Protective_Umbrella.html. I found this DIY solution, though: DIY Photography Hacks: stay dry with a hands-free umbrella holder for your tripod | Digital Camera World

Kris Kohuth September 24th, 2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1814065)
I have a mini umbrella (about 6" across) specially made for a camera - got it from B&H - can't find the link though - I don't expect my camera to operate flawlessly in full sun on a hot day if I leave it unattended and running for an extended period.

Thanks. Just to clarify, it wasn't direct sun...just hot and shaded.

Another (somewhat desperate) source of instant shade are those reflective auto windshield inserts. They're cheap and are easily fashioned into v-shaped tents that can be taped to the sides of a camera, and are just stiff enough that they don't rattle around in the breeze. (Of course, it hardly looks professional...)