DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   gh3 and g6 video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/518773-gh3-g6-video.html)

Noa Put September 6th, 2013 03:44 PM

gh3 and g6 video

Just back from a hard earned short holiday and guess what I have been doing when I should have been lying flat on my back staring at the sky? :)

I took my gh3 and g6 with me and 2 vintage tamron adaptall II lenses (a 35-80 and a 80-210 lens) and the 14-42 cheapo lumix lens. I used the 35-80 lens most of the time, what a wonderfull lens that is, and cheap, I think I payed 80 dollar for it and for the 80-210mm lens I payed about 12 dollar and both perform well, the 14-42mm lens is a little bit sharper but I prefer the look from the Tamrons.

The very first thing I noticed is that the gh3 resolves more detail then the g6, I have seen a report that the g6 is a bit softer in 50p compared to 25p (I shot in 50p avchd) but I need to confirm that next week. The gh3 is a very nice camera that can produce some good looking images with plenty color, normally my videos are quite flat so I decided to push the colors much more this time and that was easy with the gh3. Maybe I overdid it it (I just see that the reds are a bit oversaturated) but when I have more time I”ll redo it and add a more pleasing song to it. I have requested a free song from moby (mobygratis) and once I have their approval I”ll add that as well. I thought I quickly upload this video that I threw together in a few hours to see what you guys think of it? I"m off for a wedding tommorow and still need to do my unpacking so it's quite hectic right now :) I shot all in a standard profile but did push the colors much in post, the flatter version looks more cinematic, might give that next week a try.

Most of the shots in the video are gh3, just a few g6. If you look closely you can pick out the g6 shots (softer video)

James Manford September 6th, 2013 04:05 PM

Re: gh3 and g6 video

Some stunning scenary! don't blame you for not lying on your back and staring at the sky, I would of whipped out the camera too :)

Kent Jakusz September 6th, 2013 04:17 PM

Very nice. I wouldn't change the music. What aspect ratio is it?

Pete Carney September 6th, 2013 10:09 PM

What they said !!!

Awesome stuff

Cheers,
Pete

John McCully September 7th, 2013 03:13 AM

What they said too. Well done Noa, and the soundtrack works, perfectly. I must confess I completely forgot to discern what camera was which as it is once again abundantly clear that what is important is not the machine but the hands that hold it.

Good on you.

Noa Put September 8th, 2013 01:59 AM

Thx for the replies :) So you think the "soundtrack" works? It's just some random sounds I threw in there, I will polish the video a bit more next week and make it a little bit longer as I got the comment that the images switched to quickly, think it would be better just to give the viewer more time to absorb the atmosphere of each shot. There where some awesome sunsets over there, I always have that moment where I think "I should have had my camera with me" and over there I had it on me all the time when we went for a walk (including a too heavy tripod :)) but I was glad I did.
About the aspect ratio, I just added a 10% black bar on top and bottom in Edius.

Noa Put September 8th, 2013 04:16 PM

I just finetuned it, used a moby song anyway as I found it better fitting and made it a bit more personal, I"m very happy with my gh3 so far as it helps me transfer my vision to the screen in a better way then my other camera's can.

Matt Harvey September 9th, 2013 09:46 AM

Very nice, the music really suits the images. So excited about getting my GH3 now (hurry up Mr postman).

Ron Fabienke September 10th, 2013 09:38 AM

Really nicely composed and shot footage, Noa. Props! Thanks!