G6 and Canon FD 50mm 1.4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

G6 and Canon FD 50mm 1.4

Hi guys,

Just bought my first non kit lens. I went with the Canon because I heard they give a nice video image.

Just wondered if there are any settings on the camera that I should know about to optimise this lens's performance...bit of a newb on this front!

Many thanks
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: G6 and Canon FD 50mm 1.4

Welcome to the world of lens adapters and manual lenses, Darren. You probably already know this, but before you start shooting with your new lens, you'll want to make sure to go to the Custom menu and set "Shoot w/o lens" to ON.

When you're done, and want to go back to system lenses, reverse the process.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Darren, you got a nice lens, but the 45mm F/1.8 would have given you the option of auto focus and no need for an adapter. It's really a very nice lens, I loved it. I used the auto focus constantly and it was amazingly fast performer, really quick to lock focus, almost instant, even in low light conditions.

I had a Canon 50mm F/1.4 and it was nice, but I actually liked the Panasonic uch better, but I guess it's all about preference.

Best of luck, enjoy your new lens, it is fun playing with a new piece of gear.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Bill, you don't need to reverse the settings for "shoot with no lens". Don't know why they even have that function as it doesn't change anything on my G6 when using a m43 lens.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I know that lots of people rave about the quality and look of old FD lenses but I have been through a load of them including expensive 'L' lenses and always been rather disappointed not least because they always seem a bit soft. Like Jeff I prefer to have proper modern MFT lenses that are sharp & have AF.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It depends on many factors, what could be a weakness in one situation could be a strength in another. Pick the lens that enhances the shot. Sometimes that means AF, sometimes it means accurate and repeatable focus pulling, sometimes it means clinical sharpness, sometimes it means softness, etc.
Matt Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I was surprised how sharp mft lumix lenses where, even the cheap 14mm f2.5 pancake, but for my personal projects I prefer my vintage Tamron adaptall II lenses (a 35-80 and a 80-210mm), they somehow look less "video" then the lumix lenses do, it might have to do with the fact the images are not so tacksharp and that it's not so contrasty or colorful. I do like the 12-35mm f2.8 or any lumix lens more for weddings though.
I also have a 28mm f2.8 nikon nikkor that gave also a different and more pleasing look on my canon 550d but still have to try it with mt gh3, the latest personal film I did with the gh3 ("https://vimeo.com/73974687") was done with tamron adaptall lenses mainly with a occasional shot of the 14mm lumix and that's the only lenses I"ll be taking with me when I shoot for fun.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. Shot some stuff today....blown away. I heard that the kit lens is good but I'm loving the dof with this Canon! Looks miles more filmic.

I'm not so worried about auto focus. I come from using a Sony Ex1 so I try to go full manual all the time, gets the best results.

Anyone got any other recomendations for any other cheap vintage lenses?
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I think it was 12 dollar that I paid for my Tamrom adaptall II 80-210 f3.8-4 on ebay, the sending costs to Belgium where more then the lensprice, It was in mint condition. My 35-80 adaptall II f2.8-3.8 was around 90 dollar. Both lenses have separate iris rings.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Pentax Takumar in M42 can often be had for bargain prices (I have 50m F1.4, 28mm F3.5, 105mm F2.8), Olympus OM lenses are generally very good, but prices are higher, Tamron SP 90mm F2.5 is a great lens, there's a fairly large selection of old former soviet rangefinder lenses on leica thread mount (m39) and m42 some of these are superb. Plus Nikon lenses, though it's harder to a good deal as there is some demand for them. Minolta rokkor have some great lenses available and can be found at good prices on occasion.
If you have more money, then Leica R and M mounts lenses are generally excellent, but very expensive (though there are a few bargias to be had, Elmar 90mm F4 for example).
Matt Harvey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series