Panasonic G6 & peaking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 31st, 2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Panasonic G6 & peaking

I mentioned in an aside in another thread that I couldn't get peaking working on my G6 but as I predicted it was indeed due to pilot error on my part so I thought that I would describe the problem that I had and the solution.

As I discovered peaking does not work unless you are in manual focus mode i.e. MF or AF+MF. With MFT lenses I use AF-S so that I can hit focus before pressing the movie record button (like using Quick AF in Live View on the Canon DSLRs) however if you are just set on AF then peaking does not operate even though PEAK appears on the screen. If you are set to AF+MF it still doesn't work but neither does MF until you half press the shutter button to engage MF then you can focus the lens manually & the in focus portions of the image are highlighted in blue.

Peaking on the G6 is OK. It's not as clear as on a proper camcorder (where you may usually have a choice of highlight colours) but it is more distinct than the peaking that Magic Lantern adds to Canon DSLRs
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Panasonic G6 & peaking

Cheers Nigel I found that out also... How do you like the g6, I think its great, so light, the image quality very good for video not brilliant for stills but? In video mode are you shooting p-mode or full manual as I seem to get the best out of p-mode at present, ((being lazy)). Also finding just natural picture style or standard all down 1 notch bar noise reduction. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Cheers Nigel I found that out also... How do you like the g6, I think its great, so light, the image quality very good for video not brilliant for stills but? In video mode are you shooting p-mode or full manual as I seem to get the best out of p-mode at present, ((being lazy)). Also finding just natural picture style or standard all down 1 notch bar noise reduction. steve
I think that it's a fabulous little camera. I used to own a GH2 but found it very fiddly & plasticky. The G6 is so much better ergonomically although the single shutter/aperture wheel is still a pain. I always shoot manual with natural picture style. I bought a PAL version with no 30 minute recording limit to use as a emplacement for my Canon XF105 as a wide locked off safety shot. The G6 is much better in low light & I have been pleasantly surprised with how good the audio is. It's good in low light up to ISO3200 & I haven't encountered anywhere that was too dark when using the 14mm F/2.5 lens. It's great value at about 60% of the price of the GH3 which is better built (weatherproofed) & a little better ergonomically but for my uses the GH3 is unwarranted as I am usually using it unattended like people use GoPros but with far better image quality.
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Trustee

I agree Nigel, I use 3200 with the kit lens all the time and footage is grain free in really dark places. I am on the look out for a 45mm 1.8 and a 20mm 1,7 lens for really low light. Did you say you have a 30 minute record time or more? I can choose pal or ntsc does that mean I have a dud? I record 30 minutes on mine?
Old November 1st, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
IDid you say you have a 30 minute record time or more? I can choose pal or ntsc does that mean I have a dud? I record 30 minutes on mine?
As I have mentioned here once or twice before you can buy a PAL model with no recording limit (mine will fill a 32GB card for >2.5 hours video). I purchased it via the website of Vitaliy Kiselev (the guy who created the the GH2 hack). You can buy a PAL GH3 with no recording limit too.

gh3-notes:gh3-discount [Personal View FAQs Wiki]
Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Trustee

Mmmm not sure what I have done as mine said it was a pal model but it can do ntsc or pal so I must have had a dud one. Still if I leave it to record after the 30 minutes it auto stars again and carries on filming?
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Mmmm not sure what I have done as mine said it was a pal model but it can do ntsc or pal so I must have had a dud one. Still if I leave it to record after the 30 minutes it auto stars again and carries on filming?
What do you mean by can do PAL or NTSC? Do you mean that you can select 30p/60p as well as 25p/50p? With either model you can switch between PAL & NTSC for the video output when the camera is connected to a TV but that has nothing to do with recording video.

I also don't understand about the auto start filming again after it hits 30 minutes. Do you mean that without you pressing any button it just spontaneously starts recording again when the 30 minute limit is reached?
Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Nigel yes I can choose either ntsc or pal for recording. If I leave it to film over 30 minutes it carries on filming... steve
Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have a US model G6 and I searched for a switch to PAL from NTSC to get 25p and I couldn't find it either in the menu anywhere or in the manual. Where in the menu do you see the ability to change between PAL and NTSC? Just curious if it's actually there and I just missed it on my US bought G6.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Trustee

Pete go to menu, set up, rench tool then output in the menu then you will see video out, pal or ntsc on mine. Steve
Old November 4th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Ok, thought maybe I'd lost it, but that is NOT available on my US purchased G6. It only has TV Aspect and HDMI Mode under Output.

Thanks for looking it up.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Pete go to menu, set up, rench tool then output in the menu then you will see video out, pal or ntsc on mine. Steve
Steve, as I wrote in an earlier reply "you can switch between PAL & NTSC for the video output when the camera is connected to a TV but that has nothing to do with recording video."

My G6 has the following options for recording (Menu>Motion Picture>Rec Quality

1920x1080 50p
1920x1080 50i
1920x1080 25p
1920x1080 24p
1280x7200 50p

It does not have any options for NTSC rates 60p/60i/30p.
Old November 4th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Trustee

Ha gotcha Nigel sorry Pete wrong information silly me my bad..
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series