G6 resolution difference between 25p and 50p - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 5th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: G6 resolution difference between 25p and 50p

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
I do see a difference between the 25p and the 50p with both lenses. Look at the vertical rows with the horizontal lines going from 100 lines of resolution on the top of the chart to 1000 lines to the bottom. If you switch between the 25p and 50 while paying attention to the area around 700 lines, you'll see the image go from aliased in 25p to gray mush in 50p The first reason I would ascribe this effect is the compression. The camera is cramming twice as much information into a 50p stream than a 25p stream.This will lead to some sort of image degradation. Interestingly, the vertical lines do not exhibit the same effect at 700 lines.
OK, I agree. I had only quickly looked at the central portion of the image that Noa had cropped. On his samples the 50p looks terrible compared to 25p whereas on mine it looks OK. However you are perfectly correct that looking at the vertical rows like these attached images the G6 definitely resolves less lines than at 25p.

Whether this softness at 50p matters or not depends especially on what other cameras you are matching it with. For Noa cutting between the GH3 & G6 it might but for me it might be an advantage to shoot at 50p so that the image is a bit softer & matches my OM-D & 5D3s.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #17
Inner Circle

This is where I choose how to utilize my cameras. If detail matching is an issue, I put the camera with less detail on the close-ups. Then there is no significant detail to compare between the shots.
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Yep I see the same difference in sharpness between 30p and 60p as well. I was testing the G6 against the GH2 using a $20 bill when I noticed the difference. I ran numerous test and every time the 30p was sharper than 60p. After which I did a Google search to see if others were experiencing the same thing and this thread was the first one that came up. It's good to see that others are seeing the same thing and it might not be a problem with my camera.
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I haven't had the time to do more tests but been shooting a few more weddings at 50p on the g6 and the footage looks fine, eventhough I know 25p is sharper in my case. I have one last wedding this year in 10 days and will shoot in 25p, just got me the olumpus 75mm f1.8 that will be used with the g6 for talking heads in the venue, will do some 25p/50p shots of a few people just to compare later, as the Olympus is supposed to be a very sharp lens I should be able to see any difference.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series