DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Deinterlacing GH2's FSH footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/519764-deinterlacing-gh2s-fsh-footage.html)

Josh Hayes November 3rd, 2013 10:46 AM

Deinterlacing GH2's FSH footage?

Hey folks. I'm editing a 3 cam shoot that was shot on GH2. 1 of the 2 speaker cameras was set to "Manual Movie Mode" so it didn't shoot progressively and looks terrible anytime a speaker moves. I need to deinterlace it so it matches the other camera. I'm having some trouble online finding a way to do this. I have an old Compressor preset that did it when I was using GH1s a few years back but I tried it and it didn't work. Any ideas, a.) how to do this and b.) when to do it in the workflow?

I need to either recapture (i have the raw files) or recompress 6 hours of footage.

Bob Richardson November 3rd, 2013 01:43 PM

Re: Deinterlacing GH2's FSH footage?

Check out ClipWrap. Not for deinterlacing, but for rewrapping the AVCHD files from your GH2 into ".MOV" files that Compressor can easily digest.

Then, try out your deinterlace preset.

I have my own presets for Compressor that I use for deinterlacing... let me know if you'd like details.

(Additionally, don't be tempted to edit the .MOV output from ClipWrap directly in FCP7 - it can lead to unexpected results. But once you've output from Compressor to an editable format like ProRes, you're good to go.)

Josh Hayes November 3rd, 2013 02:33 PM

Hi Bob. I'll definitely try out ClipWrap. I didn't even know it existed and could be an asset to my workflow.

And I'd like to see your Compressor DeInterlace preset as well.

William Hohauser November 3rd, 2013 03:34 PM

Are you sure you have the field order correct? A reversed field order is awful with motion. Which program are you editing in?

Josh Hayes November 3rd, 2013 04:20 PM

Hi William. I'm not sure actually. I "log and transfer"-ed it in Final Cut Pro.

Josh Hayes November 3rd, 2013 05:02 PM

@William: I did just purchase the aforementioned Clip Wrap (I'm usually so easily swayed but I love the idea of people able to finally hand my footage off to a client when I'm not going to be editing in a format instead of having to Log and Transfer it so they can view it). As a test I rewrapped a few clips from that camera. Same interlacing issue and that's without a transcode. Just a rewrap. If it wasn't so horribly obvious with the interlacing, I wouldn't really mind that much and it wouldn't be that noticeable to the client.

p.s. the by far isn't the worst photo of it, but if you look at her moving hands you get a feel for it.

Josh Hayes November 3rd, 2013 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the a quick screenshot.

Josh Hayes November 3rd, 2013 07:45 PM

Hi folks. If Bob or anyone else has a Deinterlacing method in compressor, final cut or whatever for the GH2 I'd love to hear it. Need to set the conversion to go all night and be ready for editing tomorrow.

Bob Richardson November 4th, 2013 12:47 AM

Hi -

I hope this isn't too late for you... Here's one of my presets (not too original, based on the advise of multiple other posts)... If this runs too slow, the first setting to reduce to something less CPU-intensive is "Deinterlace Filter: Best (Motion Compensated)".

This filter is intended for 60i footage and converts it to 30P (or any multiple, such as 50i to 25P). If you need something else, let me know.

-Bob

-----------------

Name: 60i_to_30p_ProRes422
Description: Interlaced to Apple ProRes 422 Same Resolution
File Extension: mov
Estimated size: unknown
Audio: multi-track passthrough
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: (100% of source)
Height: (100% of source)
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Fast) Nearest Frame
Resize Filter: Linear Filter
Deinterlace Filter: Best (Motion Compensated)
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Progressive
Codec Type: Apple ProRes 422
Multi-pass: Off, frame reorder: Off
Automatic gamma correction
Progressive
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 50
Min. Spatial quality: 0
Temporal quality: 0
Min. temporal quality: 0

Josh Hayes November 4th, 2013 12:51 AM

Hi Bob. Not to late at all. Perfect timing. Thanks dude.