72 Mbps (ALL-Intra) or 50 Mbps (IPB) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Major Player

72 Mbps (ALL-Intra) or 50 Mbps (IPB)

72 Mbps (ALL-Intra) or 50 Mbps (IPB)? which one makes the highest quality, better looking video?
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 72 Mbps (ALL-Intra) or 50 Mbps (IPB)

50 Mbps (IPB) does, allthough I have not tested it side by side there are many reports of users who did to find out 72mbs has more noise in it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Major Player

thanx, I now recall hearing that same info. If I get a gh3, I would do some tests to see. I was just curious. I am now thinking maybe a BMPCC with ProRes and raw.

Last edited by Alex Anderson; November 19th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

ah yeah right, you are that guy that can't make up his mind :)

The bmc pocket cam is a different camera compared to the gh3, as I see it it is not a camera to produce weddings, not if you are a solo shooter, imagine shooting 20 minutes of raw video on a 64gb card or shooting prores and have to spend a lot of time getting the right color in post (most pocket videos in prores I have seen so far have a weird color), your batteries will die within an hour (the gh3 original battery goes on for hours) and don't even think on changing settings on the fly because it's all menu driven on the lcd screen, from the many out of focus shots I have seen in pocket videos setting accurate focus seems to be tricky as well, you could attach a loupe to the screen but then you can't change any settings anymore without removing the loupe each time and you can't check your audio levels. That's a camera for people that have time to set up a shot and that have time to handle the footage in post. For a quick turnaround guy like me that camera would be useless, but I"d like to use it for my personal projects, only I need to do some other investments first that actually make me money, maybe in a year or so when some update firmwares have ironed out all issues and when stock is freely available. :)
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Austinite

50. Get a GH3. I tried to put the 12-35 on a BMPCC and it wouldn't go. All MFT BMPCC are not the same. Never had a problem with an MFT lens on a GH3... or GH2 for that matter...
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Major Player

I hear ya.
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Inner Circle

72 doesn't look better in my opinion, stick with 50. You will get outstanding quality from the GH3 in a convenient package. Not a perfect package but a more usable one then the BMPCC in many situations. Not to knock the BMPCC as an image gathering device, it's great in it's way but the Blackmagic people seem to have something against closed viewfinders and that is a really necessary option for many shooting situations. If you are worried about quality you could try an external HDMI recorder on the GH3 but be prepared for the camera to become more difficult to use, like the BMPCC.
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank you William. I appreciate your input.

Alex
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Goetz View Post
50. Get a GH3. I tried to put the 12-35 on a BMPCC and it wouldn't go. All MFT BMPCC are not the same. Never had a problem with an MFT lens on a GH3... or GH2 for that matter...
Phil, what wouldn't go with that lens on the Pocket? And how do you mean the cameras are all different?
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Major Player

My vote is for 50mbps also.

Alex - I have both cameras and I use them for different things. I carry the GH3 around in the car with me every day because I might see a still or a motion image I want to shoot.

I have only had the BMPCC for a few weeks, but I leave it at home unless I have a plan for going out to shoot with it.

It's a fantastic camera, but it definitely takes more planning to get a good shot (e.g., ND filters, an LCD hood or loupe, etc).

Don't need any of that stuff with the GH3.

That said, when I want ultimate video quality, I break out the Blackmagic, because it gives me better, more gradeable motion images, period.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Major Player

thanks to everyone posting. Can anyone explain exactly why the 50 seems to be the popular choice than the 72? Technical reasons? My first thought was the 72 was going to be better with the higher bitrate and the single frames for editing.
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

72mbs ai has more noise in the footage compared to 50mbs ipb.
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Thank you Noa, A good reason.
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Still no camera purchased? Christmas is coming and I know what would look nice onder that tree :)
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Major Player

you crack me up. I unfortunately have a low money situation and I need to sell my EOS M system ($500 or reasonable offer) before having two cameras sitting here. I see Amazon and B&H now have the GH3 for $900. :-) Something else to consider is a Panasonic press release for a new 4K sensor. They claim to be the lowest noise sensor in the world. And there are rumors of that being in a GH4. But we have to wait and the GH3 is now.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series