Fast long lens with IS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Fast long lens with IS?

I currently own the Lumix 12-35mm, 35-100mm, Voigtlander 25mm, and Canon FDn 50mm. The Canon lens is really pushing my limits as far as not having image stability, especially with ETC mode on. I understand Panasonic is set to release a 42.5mm f/1.2 with IS, so when that comes out I will probably switch them out. However, it seems to get any longer means giving up IS. I keep hearing how great the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens is, but without IS it would be relegated strictly to tripod work as a videographer.

Up until now I shot "handheld" via a Jag35 shoulder rig, and with my 50mm, it's bordering on unacceptable. I just picked up a couple of Manfrotto monopods, and they seem to do a decent job of calming things, so maybe they will be suitable for the 75mm. The point is, it seems there aren't really any options for us in the long/fast department that includes IS. I've been debating whether or not to get the 75mm, because I'd love to hear that Panasonic is releasing one with IS. What are your thoughts? How important is IS to you?
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Fast long lens with IS?

I've never depended on IS, I've been using SLR's with 135mm to 210mm lenses (then Canon with up to 250 - a bout a 400mm equivalent) and learned different stabilization methods with bracing and such in the 1960's and 1970's.

But recently I acquired a lightly used OMD E-M5 for it's 5 axis in body IS for those takes where I have to go handheld or have the camera in motion. It's amazing how good the E-M5 handles handheld "jitters", won't help much on sudden jerks or bumps and the codec doesn't handle rustling leaves or tall grass waving in the wind very well, but the degree of smoothing from the IBIS is well worth the price for me.

My main cameras are GH3's, and I do have that Olympus 75mm f1.8. It's everything good you hear it is, I've been using it handheld for short takes while well braced and also on a SpiderBrace (Spiderbrace

I recently got the Honu cage specifically designed for an fitted to the GH3 and so far used it on a job for a friend with the cage holding a Rode VideoMic on top and the whole thing mounted on a SpiderBrace.

Honu Cage on amazon: Amazon.com: PNC Fhugen Honu Cage GH3 4 DSLR VIDEO follow Focus Film Shooting Canon 5D Mark2: Camera & Photo

Honu Cage at PNC Store: Photography and Cinema - Store Honu GH3 Video Cage

I also just got the "Gearbox" GB1 at PNC for the Olympus OMD E-M5.

Photography and Cinema - Store GB-1 GearBox Video Cage

The combination of good grip handles and IBIS in the OMD help me quite a bit with stabilizing handheld video;
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series