Shutter Speed & Frame Rate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 20th, 2014, 03:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter Speed & Frame Rate

Over the years, I have always maintained the same shutter speed whilst filming, with my iris and ISO being my two variables. With 25p and 50i, this has always been 1/50th or occasionally 1/25 for low light. With 50p, I am not sure if this remains the case. I have recently been shooting 50p at a constant shutter speed of 1/50th and no real problems there, I haven't tried it with 1/25th though. There is a school of thought that says we should shoot 50p at 1/100th which obviously reduces the light coming in (good for outside but bad for inside). I can see how this might be of benefit for slow motion but is it rally necessary for general use? Any thoughts?
James Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shutter Speed & Frame Rate

The general guideline is for shutter speed to be 2x the shutter rate. Looked at in the opposite way, the shutter is open for half of the time between shutter activations.

Without going into the history and things that drove it, think about the motion blur esthetic you want. Shutter speed (the time the shutter is open) determines how much motion blur you have. If you want stuttering crisp frames, by all means shoot at 1/100. If you want the normal blur of 24FPS film, then set it at 1/48 or 1/50.

There are sound reasons for 1/48th one of which is that was deemed as simulating the human eye.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series