DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Purchasing cameras on ebay from Hong Kong (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/522449-purchasing-cameras-ebay-hong-kong.html)

James Hollingsworth March 28th, 2014 06:38 AM

Purchasing cameras on ebay from Hong Kong

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing cameras on ebay from Hong Kong/Australia. I am interested in the following GX7 as the seller has confirmed to me that it doesn't have the 29 minutes recording limit that the European model does: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 + 20mm F1.7 Lens Wifi Smart Digital Camera - Black | eBay

The Company is webdigi. Anyone have any experience with this Company or can recommend another one that they have used. Just can't ignore the benefits of an unlimited take. Many thanks.

Patrick Janka March 28th, 2014 09:08 AM

Re: Purchasing cameras on ebay from Hong Kong

I bought my GH3 and my Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 from Hong Kong eBay stores with no problems.

James Hollingsworth March 28th, 2014 09:37 AM

Hi Patrick, do you recall the name of the seller, would be good to know I am dealing with a reputable one.

Mike Lorushe March 28th, 2014 11:58 AM

I bought my GX7 from these guys with no problems:

dctrade-uk on eBay

However, mine has the 30 minute recording restriction.

James Manford March 28th, 2014 01:27 PM

Don't even hesitate a second if your buying via ebay and paypal.

Top it off by paying on credit card ...

You automatically have three levels of protection. eBay, Paypal and your credit card. If you are scammed, you will 110% get your money back.

But anyway, looking at that seller everything looks legit.

I have purchased from digitalrev before and they come from hong kong.

Patrick Janka March 28th, 2014 01:29 PM

I looked through my history, and I was a bit off. The 35-100 was bought from Japan, the GH3 from the states, but the 12-35 was from Hong Kong. The merchant was "t-dimension3".

James Hollingsworth March 28th, 2014 01:48 PM

Thanks guys, will give it a go then, I did buy a nice benro monopod recently and delivery was scheduled for 3 weeks, it arrived in 3 days without any issue at customs, a camera probably won't breeze by the guards quite so easily but still worth it for the unlimited take.

Kent Jakusz March 30th, 2014 08:20 AM

After buying a Panasonic product from outside the US where do you send it if you should need service?

Paul R Johnson March 30th, 2014 10:34 AM

usually, back to the country of origin. It's quite normal for the main dealer in your own country to reject grey imports. I bought an expensive Yamaha product from Yamaha in Germany because Yamaha UK did not keep it as a stock item, and would not bring in a one-off. Yamaha UK also told me they would not service it or provide any service support such as parts.

John Nantz March 30th, 2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1838808)
Don't even hesitate a second if your buying via ebay and paypal.

Top it off by paying on credit card ...

You automatically have three levels of protection. eBay, Paypal and your credit card. If you are scammed, you will 110% get your money back.

However, be very sure to read the eBay, PayPal, and credit card time limits for filing a complaint. Go even one day out of the time limit and you're out of luck.

And, of course, the complaint must be filed in the proper manner.

My experience was with a couple cell phone replacement batteries that were advertised as being OEM and the picture showed OEM packaging. My credit card charge was reversed in a matter of hours.

Oh, and one more thing, I took a screen shot of the eBay ad pages including the URL and time and that really, REALLY helped! Put this down as a must-do!!! I was able to email the credit card contact the screen shots and it was a slam dunk.

My case was only about $50 so for something costing a few thousand maybe it wouldn't be quite so quick. Also, maybe there is a "court approved" way of making a "legal screen shot". If there is, I don't know about it.

Phil Goetz April 16th, 2014 07:17 PM

Consider purchasing from a DVinfo.net sponsor.

DMC-GH4

Panasonic DMC-GH4 (Pre-Order)