if I get a GH4, and just one lens... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Major Player

if I get a GH4, and just one lens...

Hi there,
I came to this game late in life. Worked for most of my career as a director and wasn't even allowed to touch the camera gear (o.k., I was 'allowed' to carry the tripod); then I was laid off seven years ago and had to reinvent myself. I rented a camera, taught myself to shoot and edit, managed to make a go of things and then bought a Sony EX1 (I now have a Sony PMW-200). Learning to use a camera in all manual mode was difficult, and I still struggle with things sometimes when I'm shooting under pressure, on-the-fly (luckily I'm the person who edits the stuff that I shoot, so I'm forgiving). I do videos for NGOs whose cause I like, and short and longer documentaries when I manage to piece together a shoestring budget, and other things, and I really do enjoy it. Recently my daughter asked me to shoot a music video for her and of course I couldn't say no.
Particularly after shooting the video for my daughter, I've been thinking about getting a Panasonic GH4 so I can get a softer out-of-focus look for some of my interviews and visuals (for certain projects anyway). The GH4 appeals partly because it records a file type that works nicely for editing (I don't like AVCHD). But when I googled the question of lenses for micro Four Third lenses, I realized I didn't even know where to begin.

So... in case anyone's willing. I'd like a lens that lets in lots of light, and one that might permit me to use auto-focus (something I don't do with my PMW-200, but I'm hoping the GH4 might have a really good auto-focus system). I like to shoot a lot of stuff hand-held, and I like to move when I shoot. So I think a nice wide-angle would best suit my style. I don't really mind not being able to zoom (if I want a tighter shot I'll walk closer), but image-stabilization would be good. I need to be able to seamlessly change exposure as I move around.
Yours hopefully,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: if I get a GH4, and just one lens...

Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 is the single lens I would choose.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Jeff... I just read some on-line reviews from GH users, and this kind of thing—"Fast, quiet AF. Compact, unobtrusive size is welcome for shooting documentary style"—seemed to sum it up for a lot of reviewers.
I appreciate the advice...
Malcolm
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

That lens doesn't have stepless exposurechanges, non of the m4/3 mount panasonic or Olympus lenzes do.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Major Player

I would buy a Voigtlander 17,5 mm 0,95 lens. I have it already but now just waiting for the GH4..
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That lens doesn't have stabilization or autofocus, just saying as it was a requested feature.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Major Player

I know you can't judge simply by reviews, but the Voigtlander that you recommend, Bo, gets amazing reviews.
It's true, I'd asked for image stabilization and autofocus, but...
I've learned, over the last few years, to move my camera when something in the shot gives me a reason to move—and if something in frame is moving then any less-than-steadicam-like movement on my part somehow seems natural, or at least, it's never been a problem for me. Maybe I can live without image stabilization.
And I have gotten used to manually focussing and manually changing the iris and all of that. Do I sometimes get some soft-focus shots? Yes, but it's not so much a problem when I'm zoomed right out, on a wide shot (image stabilization also isn't as much of an issue when I'm wide like this). So... maybe I can live without autofocus?
You've got me wondering.
thanks for the input and advice,
Malcolm
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Question: would you be able to use the GH4's peaking feature with the Voigtlander lens?
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I would get the 35-100 over the 12-35. It had been the lens on my GH3/4 the vast majority of the time.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

You have to get a lens with image stabilization for hand-held in any GH series camera. The Voigtlander is a great lens, possibly the best in it class for the GH cameras, but you'll have great difficulty keeping the camera from shaking in motion filming. Hand-held with that lens is possible with a viewfinder loupe or a camera rig. These are the extras you'll have to consider when switching from a video camera designed for hand-held to a still camera form that takes great video. As for a lens, the 12-35 is the way to go. I wish I had one.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I shoot the exact same stuff as you internationally. I have an EX1R and I used a GH3 as a B-cam with the 12-35 f2.8 and the 20mm f1.7 II. I had a 5DM2 before that and a TM700 before that.

Getting a nice bokeh on the MFT sensor is something you need to work at using the 12-35. I typically got lots of nice images but with deep DOF (even at 2.8) unless I worked it hard like you would a camcorder. Not as easy as a 5DM2 with full size sensor. The 20mm f1.7 on the other hand delivers them easily.

The touch screen focus makes fast moving filming easier for a DSLR but you will like the GH4 peaking I think. Especially outside. Ditto the zebras for exposure.

It was more difficult to match the GH3 to the EX1R. The 5DM2 was a better match. Forget about the TM700. YMMV

I was fed up with the GH3 ergonomic problems and lack of fixes by Panasonic. Be prepared for that as they roll off developers to the next product.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #12
New Boot

I use 12-35 and 35-100. Both are great lenses but if I had to chose one it would be the 12-35. Wide without distorting, but also good for interviews (especially in small spaces). Both are f2.8 throughout the focal length (the GH4 is good in low light so this speed is adequate). The built in image stabilization works really well. You can shoot fully manual or use the auto functions on the GH4. These lenses are quite sharp but do not have the same character as older glass; excellent for run and gun documentary.
Darrell Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi there,
... The GH4 appeals partly because it records a file type that works nicely for editing (I don't like AVCHD). ...
Yours hopefully,
Malcolm
All the containers used by the GH4 deliver h.264 compression in different levels. If you're using a last generation NLE (FCP7 I'm looking at you) you may find that you need to transcode even when shooting a .MOV container.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Question: would you be able to use the GH4's peaking feature with the Voigtlander lens?
Yes - it works with manual or auto lenses.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Austinite

When I was a kid we had slide shows. My dad shot slide negative. Recently we had a slide show. We haven't had one in 20 years. We showed slides from the mid 70s. My dad shot on one lens and one lens only. A 50mm. On the GH4 that would be this lens: H-X025
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series