Gh4 viewfinder extension? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 5th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gh4 viewfinder extension?

Has anyone found a gh3 or Gh4 viewfinder extension? The EVF Is good - it'd be great to have an upward facing extension that also had a bigger eyecup. I know the Zacuto could be stuck to the LCD but don't fancy that.
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Gh4 viewfinder extension?

XP PhotoGear VF-4 LCD Viewfinder

I was looking at this or if I could find a Varavon gh3 will work but cant find them.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Varavon made a great viewfinder loupe for the GH3 but it seems to have disappeared from their web site. They make other viewfinder accessories that may work.
::::Welcome to VARAVON ::::
Old June 8th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Varavon doesn't make the GH3 loupe anymore. I tried the Carry speed VF-4 which I THINK is just a rebranding of the XP Photogear. Its too big to work if you're mounting the camera directly to the tripod plate. Some kind of spacer required and then you will need to find a way (tape would probably work) to block the light leak at the bottom.

Last edited by Jase Tanner; June 8th, 2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Trustee

This version is made for MFT cameras, the other one featured on PNC is for DSLRs including larger ones like the 5D MkII/III.

Be sure to watch the video to see how it works.

http://www.photographyandcinema.com/...cd-view-finder
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Too bad about Varavon. The GH3 loupe could swivel up as opposed to the stuck to back viewfinders like the Zacuto Zacuto's First Look: The Panasonic GH4 | Zacuto USA. The other Varavon accessories are attached to the back as well but some have a top door so you can peer in from above. Not ideal at all.
Old June 9th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #7
New Boot

I was able to get the GH2 version of the Varavon to work pretty good on my GH3. I did have to make a small mod (add a new 1/4 hole) in the mounting plate. As it was the Viewfinder cutoff the OLED on the right side just a bit.

And of course the Varavon renders pretty much useless the headphone jack and the HDMI out for sure.
It is kinda cheap in many ways ....the diopter adjustment is a joke...and the positions tightening knob needs to slip a bit better maybe a nylon washer would do the trick...but that being said I have enjoyed using it.

Amazon.com : Varavon LPEXSGH2 Loupe EX with Supporter : Photography Loupes : Camera & Photo

Last edited by Mark Pleasant; June 9th, 2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add info
Mark Pleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Trustee

I had a Varavon for the GH2 - just drill another hole and you're good to go

Varavon Loupe EX-Supporter for Panasonic GH1/GH2 VALU-LPEXSGH2

Mike & HDMI out are fine but headphone access is only possible when the screen is level
Attached Thumbnails
Gh4 viewfinder extension?-20140610_120822.jpg   Gh4 viewfinder extension?-20140610_120850.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Mailath; June 9th, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Paul Mailath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Cheers for gh2 model info - Varavon confirm to me the gh3 / gh4 is discontinued.
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Weird that they stopped producing that loupe, with the gh4 having the same shape as the gh3 they easily could have extended sales, glad I got mine in time then :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I just filmed a two camera interview yesterday with my GH2 and GH3 and I was thinking of this thread while standing over the two cameras which were set at chair height. The Varavon loupes were perfect as I could look down at the images but also flip the diopter on to check focus. This would have been highly uncomfortable with the other viewfinder extensions available and I would have had to been seated to operate both cameras. Even with the diopter flipped open, the shade offered by the loupes are always a big help. The interview lasted 75 minutes.

I am going to contact Varavon to send a suggestion that they should reconsider. The GH4 is generating a lot of interest so they might have some sales opportunites that perhaps the GH3 wasn't getting them. Also I stored the GH2 loupe improperly after a shoot and the eyepiece is loose, hopefully they have some replacement parts.
Old June 13th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #12
New Boot

I use the Vavaron Loupe on my GH3 and although some of the build quality is questionable the ability to adjust the angle is fantastic and I love using it, they really need to manufacture it again.
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #13
Major Player

When they told me the GH3 loupe was no longer available I responded by saying that I thought they should bring it back, that others would also want to buy it. Hearing from others can only help. Their email:
ok at varavon.com
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series