DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Stills with the GH4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/523610-stills-gh4.html)

Kent Jakusz June 6th, 2014 10:14 AM

Stills with the GH4

In my setup with the GH4 shooting stills I am making these assumptions when shooting RAW.
1. Photo Style is of no consequence because RAW allows large parameters of manipulation and baking in a picture style would limit those parameters.
2. The best Aspect Ratio is 4:3 because this uses the largest portion of the sensor.
3. When shooting stills in RAW does Highlight/Shadows, i. Dynamic and i.Resolution, have any effect? I am assuming that they don't.
4. Color Space, SRGB or Adobe RGB. Thoughts please.

Thanks for your input

Kent

Gary Huff June 6th, 2014 02:09 PM

Re: Stills with the GH4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent S. Jakusz (Post 1847966)
In my setup with the GH4 shooting stills I am making these assumptions when shooting RAW.

Raw or raw. Not RAW. It's not an acronym.

Quote:

1. Photo Style is of no consequence because RAW allows large parameters of manipulation and baking in a picture style would limit those parameters.
I believe, depending on how the application interprets the raw data, that the Photo Style will give you a starting base when you load it into your photo software, but you are, of course, free to change everything about the image after that.

Quote:

2. The best Aspect Ratio is 4:3 because this uses the largest portion of the sensor.
That is correct.

Quote:

3. When shooting stills in RAW does Highlight/Shadows, i. Dynamic and i.Resolution, have any effect? I am assuming that they don't.
That is correct. This is for video and JPEG stills only. You can adjust these settings within the software that are you using to process the Raw image and get the same effect.

Quote:

4. Color Space, SRGB or Adobe RGB. Thoughts please.
sRGB is more of a standard, and Adobe RGB is supposedly slightly better in how it preserves information from the image. Personally,. I would stick with the standard.

More in depth here.

Kent Jakusz June 6th, 2014 04:06 PM

Thanks Gary;
I find Panasonic's Owners Manuals incomplete.

One other question. Is there any way to follow focus on a flying bird or other moving object when in burst mode? Unlike the GH3 the GH4 allows the photographer to keep a moving subject in the frame but I can not figure out how to keep the focus area visible. Can the GH4 refocus between shots in the burst mode?

Thanks Again

Kent

Kent Jakusz June 10th, 2014 04:44 PM

It can;
Burst mode must be in M or L (Rec Menu 5)
AF switch to AFC
AF mode to 1 area
Constant Preview (Custom Menu 5) to Off