Yagh at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Yagh

Anyone have any experience working with a YAGH on the GH4? I've searched and haven't seen any good reviews.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Yagh

I'd be interested as well but presumably early days. Not sure either what there is out there to connect to it yet. 10 bit 4K 4:2:2 out I think but what to?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Good point. You can connect to the Aja Ki Pro Quad.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Ki Pro Quad is the only thing that can record 10-bit 4:2:2 out in 4K from the GH4 + the YAGH.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm hoping someone will do a review of YAGH+Ki Pro soon -- mostly because I'd like to know how much of a difference it really makes and whether it's worth investing in YAGH+KiPro/Shogun/whatever else works.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Shooting the 4K from the GH4 out of either the YAGH or the HDMI port (with the Ki Pro Quad or the Shogun) will result in a far more robust, and far larger, 4K video file.

4K internally on the GH4 is essentially AVCHD (24Mps per 1080 quadrant). AVCHD as a standard does not support 4K resolution, so that's why it's under the MOV and MP4 settings, but it is AVCHD in all but name otherwise. So all the issues (or non-issues) you may have with AVCHD 1080 material will be reflected in the GH4's internal recording.

Going out to the Ki Pro Quad or Shogun will give you 8 times the bitrate, 800Mbps in ProRes, along with 4:2:2 8/10-bit (depending on what you set for your output). This will make the image more robust, no macroblocking during complex or heavy movement scenes, and more options for color correction in post before the image starts to degrade.

For me personally, a Shogun is absolutely in my future once the hardware starts shipping. I think it's the best option for getting a much better recording in 4K from the GH4. KiPro Quad with the YAGH is about $5k, and you'll be tethered via 4 BNC cables and require rails with DC power. The GH4 and the Shogun will be microHDMI to HDMI and both can be battery powered on the units directly. And the model shown at NAB looked really nice, and I love the options I get with the Ninja Blade that I also use, so I am very excited about this product.

I would suspect that you will see a plethora of 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 material from the GH4 as soon as the Shogun is in people's hands. It's rather difficult on my end to justify the YAGH + Ki Pro Quad setup.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Major Player

So one can use the Shogun without the YAGH and get 10 bit 4K etc?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Shooting the 4K from the GH4 out of either the YAGH or the HDMI port (with the Ki Pro Quad or the Shogun) will result in a far more robust, and far larger, 4K video file.

4K internally on the GH4 is essentially AVCHD (24Mps per 1080 quadrant). AVCHD as a standard does not support 4K resolution, so that's why it's under the MOV and MP4 settings, but it is AVCHD in all but name otherwise. So all the issues (or non-issues) you may have with AVCHD 1080 material will be reflected in the GH4's internal recording.

Going out to the Ki Pro Quad or Shogun will give you 8 times the bitrate, 800Mbps in ProRes, along with 4:2:2 8/10-bit (depending on what you set for your output). This will make the image more robust, no macroblocking during complex or heavy movement scenes, and more options for color correction in post before the image starts to degrade.

For me personally, a Shogun is absolutely in my future once the hardware starts shipping. I think it's the best option for getting a much better recording in 4K from the GH4. KiPro Quad with the YAGH is about $5k, and you'll be tethered via 4 BNC cables and require rails with DC power. The GH4 and the Shogun will be microHDMI to HDMI and both can be battery powered on the units directly. And the model shown at NAB looked really nice, and I love the options I get with the Ninja Blade that I also use, so I am very excited about this product.

I would suspect that you will see a plethora of 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 material from the GH4 as soon as the Shogun is in people's hands. It's rather difficult on my end to justify the YAGH + Ki Pro Quad setup.
This makes sense. The one thing I don't like is the microHDMI port -- it just seems so fragile and prone to disconnect.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
This makes sense. The one thing I don't like is the microHDMI port -- it just seems so fragile and prone to disconnect.
Depends on the kind of cable you get for it. Ideally, Zacuto will release a version of their articulating head cables with microHDMI instead of mini.

I can't speak for microHDMI as I haven't used it much yet, but I have yet to have a HDMI cable connection just randomly pop out, mostly because I pick my cables carefully and don't just run down to Best Buy to get them. Cage options are also available that will lock the microHDMI connection as well.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have a YAGH for my GH4 , Ive only used it for power and AUDIO so far, and so far it works as advertised
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 06:35 PM   #11
Major Player

Been using micro hdmi cam outputs for the past year
Rest assured these are not likely to pop out . they are very snug and secure and require quite a tug to get them out. Way better than either the mini or the full size hdmi
I don't trust the articulating versions
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 06:40 PM   #12
Major Player

Good to know. Thanks.

By the way (off topic) I have tried HDMI to a PIX240i on 10-bit setting of GH4 from microHDMI, and the PIX only sees 8-bit. I called Panasonic about this but not answer so far. I've been wondering if the YAGH would be needed for true 10-bit out.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:20 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
I don't trust the articulating versions
I don't see why you wouldn't. The articulating heads means any strain will be relieved by the flat base rotating in the direction of the stress. The Zacuto cables are quite nice, but the articulating end is only the full-sized HDMI. The mini end is right-angled, which is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
By the way (off topic) I have tried HDMI to a PIX240i on 10-bit setting of GH4 from microHDMI, and the PIX only sees 8-bit. I called Panasonic about this but not answer so far. I've been wondering if the YAGH would be needed for true 10-bit out.
Under "Motion Picture" go to "HDMI Rec Output" and select Bit Mode as 4:2:2 10-bit. However, keep in mind that with that mode activated, you do not have the ability to record video internally, even if you're just using a basic monitor. Anything you have plugged into the HDMI with 10-bit mode enabled will disable internal recording.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Under "Motion Picture" go to "HDMI Rec Output" and select Bit Mode as 4:2:2 10-bit. However, keep in mind that with that mode activated, you do not have the ability to record video internally, even if you're just using a basic monitor. Anything you have plugged into the HDMI with 10-bit mode enabled will disable internal recording.
Yes, I've tried that but still the PIX says it's 8-bit. And the picture profile looks different too!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:33 AM   #15
Major Player

Using an articulating hdmi connector is like using masking tape to hold a lens in place. It may work for a while or not.
Consider that the wires are cut from their properly soldered connectors and some kind of friction contact is used to maintain electrical continuity The whole HDMI system is tenuous enough without intentionally introducing problem areas
But I keep forgetting that some people get to take the shot again if somethng goes wrong whereas shooting live robustness is d'rigeur
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series