GH4 for video—only with tripod or stabilizer unit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Major Player

GH4 for video—only with tripod or stabilizer unit?

Hi again,

I've got the GH4 priced out, along with the 12-35mm Lumix lens.
This lens has image stabilization, but it's been pointed out to me that this is more for photos than video.

So a question (which I have to ask because the purchase of the GH4 and the Panasonic lens add up to the limit of my limited funds): do you people who use the GH4 for video work only use it—
1. on a tripod?
and/or
2. with a stabilizer unit of some sort, if you're shooting handheld?

I know this would be a lovely camera to use (on a tripod) for interviews. But I'm wondering what my options are handheld, off-tripod.

Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH4 for video—only with tripod or stabilizer unit?

Whoever said that 12-35mm lens was better suited for photo clearly hasn't used it to shoot video or they don't know what they are talking about.

On a tripod you can just turn of the lens stabilisation (a switch on the lens) and when handheld just enable it again, don't expect it to be as good as the stabilisation on the sony cx730 (actually no camera I know of can match that little camera's stabilisation) but you can perfectly shoot handheld with the 12-35mm wide open or zoomed in, it's an excellent lens.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Major Player

What Noa said...
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Sorry Noa, I didn't express myself well. What I thought I'd heard is that image stabilization (not the 12-35mm lens) is more for photos than for video. But it seems I was wrong on that count as well. Good to know.
I think I'd only shoot handheld when zoomed out all the way—that's how I always do it on my (bona fide) video camera (PMW-200), because it always helps smooth things out.
O.K., I'm more hopeful now. So many people implied (or at least I inferred) that you need a rig of some sort to shoot handheld, and that has been worrying me.
Thanks for the advice,
Malcolm
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Dan.
I called the store that sells GH4s today, asking about their return policy (thinking I'd like to be able to test the camera out a bit for a day) and was told that because it's over a thousand dollars, you can't take it out of the store. I'm welcome to bring a card into the store and shoot a bit of footage there.
I guess I might try that.
Regards,
Malcolm
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi again,

I've got the GH4 priced out, along with the 12-35mm Lumix lens.
This lens has image stabilization, but it's been pointed out to me that this is more for photos than video.
The IS on the lens works better than no IS. I used the Lumix 45-200 to video some hummingbirds a couple weeks ago and the IS helped noticeably even on the tripod (no panning involved)

Quote:
So a question (which I have to ask because the purchase of the GH4 and the Panasonic lens add up to the limit of my limited funds): do you people who use the GH4 for video work only use it—
1. on a tripod?
and/or
2. with a stabilizer unit of some sort, if you're shooting handheld?
Both. The stabilizer I use is the very simple and very inexpensive SpiderBrace (Spiderbrace) made from PVC. Cost me just under $100 delivered to my door.

Quote:
I know this would be a lovely camera to use (on a tripod) for interviews. But I'm wondering what my options are handheld, off-tripod.
The SpiderBrace is a shoulder brace and as long as you are using the wider end of the zoom and not trying to move too much it works quite well.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #7
New Boot

On a tripod Stabiliser off
Hand held Stabiliser on

Works well enough use a shoulder brace or rig then you can shoot hand held nice and smoothly up to 100mm no problem at all. That 12 to 35 is a lovely lens and is on mine most of the time!
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Major Player

thank you Bruce and Chris. It seems for shooters like me who like to go handheld, a brace/support is the way to go. I worked with a cameraman once who took classes in ballet just so he could walk (with his camera, and it was a big Sony shouldermount) more smoothly.
I will look into these mounts.
Regards,
Malcolm
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9
New Boot

Rigs cost from a little to a lot, I bought a cheap setup Eimo rig form Amazon, its basic but reasonably we made and strong and sturdy and plenty of parts to rig to your desired setup. enjoy your hunt!
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Major Player

Still photo lenses with image stabilization will work, but often not as well as a dedicated camcorder lens with stabilization. One problem I've noticed is that with a still lens when it reaches the edge of it's stabilization range it will snap back to the center instantly - fine for still images, but it can produce an odd jumpiness to handheld footage in video mode. I haven't tested the 12-35 specifically for this, but unless they tuned it for video use I would expect to see it do the same.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series